sir-knight wrote: »
    what server are people playing on?

Im on Telemachus

in game character grace
  • ViPr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ViPr polycounter lvl 17
    i don't like that they are using a really old engine so i will not be playing it.
  • Dusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I played all night. So I have pretty much replaced my wiener with Aion. Its a really cool game.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    ViPr wrote: »
    i don't like that they are using a really old engine so i will not be playing it.

Welcome to the world of MMOs! It takes so much code and content you can't help launching with an "old" engine.

I believe Aion started development in 2005 so they used an engine that was only a year old at the time, that's pretty ballsy.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    also consider it's been out in korea for a year now so that adds another year to its age.. it is still a very visually appealing world.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness wrote: »
    Im on Telemachus

in game character grace

that server isn't on my list :/

I'm an elyos on nezekan named sarubethiel apparently this is the unofficial aussie server... it's going to suck for me they're 12 hours off.
  • ViPr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ViPr polycounter lvl 17
    i will be paying attention to Entropia. i think they have the right idea going with the Crysis engine. hopefully it succeeds and other MMOs take notice and start copying. i'm sick of the embarrassingly low technology level of PC games and you should all stop supporting it.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    I made a dude called dumptruck on the K letter server when they gave us our employee copies. Harass me if any of you ended up on that server. I'll play a little. not a lot.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    i will be paying attention to Entropia. i think they have the right idea going with the Crysis engine. hopefully it succeeds and other MMOs take notice and start copying. i'm sick of the embarrassingly low technology level of PC games and you should all stop supporting it.

I might be mistaken but Aion is made with the Crysis engine..
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    not that the chicks arent super hot, but does everyone pick a female char because the males look terrible? haha :)

pretty art. I will not play another mmo though :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

You also have to consider the huge Asian market generally has lower average system specs than the western market.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aion has been out in korea for 2 years not 1, sorry. So we are getting a 2 year old game.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aion has been out in korea for 2 years not 1, sorry. So we are getting a 2 year old game.

Actually it launched about 11 months ago.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I might be mistaken but Aion is made with the Crysis engine..

It's funny how so many seem to be under that impression :P In my understanding it runs on CryTECH not Crysis tech. Meaning, Farcry1! Not Crysis.

And I think it's a good move, some stuff in there look very good. One thing I really dislike in the beta tho is how bad the ground textures looked. In that regard I wish they went for a more impressionistic approachd like FFXII for instance. Lower res, but at least a correct scale and a more suggestive result. Aions grass looks like a banana field in comparison.

final-fantasy-xii-20061027031032650_640w.jpg

aion_06.jpg
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yeah, just to clarify, I'm not playing :-P
    I might try it out when there's a free trial but I'm more interested in APB and Dust 514
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    oh yeah, just to clarify, I'm not playing :-P
    I might try it out when there's a free trial but I'm more interested in APB and Dust 514

and SW: The Old Republic :D
  • ViPr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ViPr polycounter lvl 17
    Aion will use CryEngine 1 not CryEngine 2.

CryEngine 1 was used in Far Cry 1.
    CryEngine 2 was used in Crysis 1.

so Aion will be severely outdated as usual for MMOs, hence i deride it like i do with everything that is anti-progress.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    so Aion will be severely outdated as usual for MMOs, hence i deride it like i do with everything that is anti-progress.

yes mmos always have outdated visuals but I always assumed that was because they want to be able to get the game onto an extremely wide range of pcs. Crysis hardly played properly on anyones pc when it was released, an mmo that does that would die a rather swift death. Also as people have stated this game started development when cryengine1 was new so they actually took a huge risk in being so very progressive.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder what engine Lineage 3 will use
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I'm still waiting for their update where you get to play as a 2 foot tall sword wieling a 12 foot long asian child.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Style over substance should be the tag-line for Aion.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh wrote: »
    Style over substance should be the tag-line for Aion.

Completely disagree, content wise the game is fantastic, I never did play WoW but have played AoC and Lineage 2. and Aion wins hands down. Ive got to lvl 20 so far and have to say that theres plenty of complexity for a game just released. Player customisation, not just visual but also with the stigma system, territorial battles between Asmodian and Elyos, bieng able to modify the look and characteristics of equpment and shit I can fly and fight at the same time. for a game just released thats pretty good in my book.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose wrote: »
    not that the chicks arent super hot, but does everyone pick a female char because the males look terrible? haha :)

pretty art. I will not play another mmo though :)

lol actually the male characters are pretty good looking, all my characters are female because I cant stand playing for hours staring at a well defined male ass..
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    roflness roflness. You also can get free $#!+ from high levels if u pretend to be a girl
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson wrote: »
    roflness roflness. You also can get free $#!+ from high levels if u pretend to be a girl

HAHAHAHA.. actually I seem to have everything I need, the drop rate at the moment is very generous (for me anyway), My spiritmaster never spends any cash and Ive accumilated about 180k at lvl 20. I get drops that I can use and the quests give pretty decent stuff too. Not sure what its like later on, I presume the economy will come more into play later when you have to craft uber gear and either have to collect materials or buy them.

So no whoring out of my characters just yet.. lol but what you do with yours is up to you.. =P
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    It'll be interesting to see how well this does... WoW needs some competition.

And on the subject of graphics on the PC i do partially agree - I'd like to see things that can really use all the new tech floating around or even push it! That being said though, graphics for graphics sake can fuck off, i'm all for more things like Brink and WoW!
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the economy is a bit messed up right now if you look at server stats.. about 90% of the population is <lvl 20 so goods are retardedly cheap at auction, you can't even sell some of the lower level stuff there's so much of it. But they've set it up so that lower level items are prerequisite crafting materials for some higher level items, so high level players will need to buy from low level players, in turn selling that stuff back to lower level players.

I'm enjoying it... but it definitely feels like a wow clone in terms of gameplay, but wow got that stuff right, and that's why this game plays smoothly. Servers are ridiculously overpopulated at the moment though, there's queues to get into the servers at primetime.

The world itself is quite rich, there's a lot of stuff going on in it, I hope there's more history that turns up.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the economy is a bit messed up right now if you look at server stats.. about 90% of the population is <lvl 20 so goods are retardedly cheap at auction, you can't even sell some of the lower level stuff there's so much of it. But they've set it up so that lower level items are prerequisite crafting materials for some higher level items, so high level players will need to buy from low level players, in turn selling that stuff back to lower level players.

I'm enjoying it... but it definitely feels like a wow clone in terms of gameplay, but wow got that stuff right, and that's why this game plays smoothly. Servers are ridiculously overpopulated at the moment though, there's queues to get into the servers at primetime.

The world itself is quite rich, there's a lot of stuff going on in it, I hope there's more history that turns up.

Funny you say its like WoW, I thought it was alot like Lineage2. and yes the economy is borked but its like that at the start of a MMO.. heh in a months time it will make more sense.. but also be infested with farmers
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    HEY STOP TALKING SHIT ABOUT MMOS ILL FIGHT YOUR FACE!!!!!11!

SOME of us don't use dated tech. HMPF.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I'll be able to try it out tonight but just from a casual glance it looks like Secondlife, we really don't need any more of that!
  • ViPr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ViPr polycounter lvl 17
    I'll be able to try it out tonight but just from a casual glance it looks like Secondlife, we really don't need any more of that!

maybe you are looking at old footage. on youtube, sort the Entropia videos by date posted. they upgraded to the Crysis engine only recently and i think not all the artwork has been upgraded yet. hopefully if this upgrade works out for Entropia then maybe Aion and other MMOs may also upgrade instead of just starting over with a new game. btw didn't EVE also upgrade their engine and art assets? if so then it looks more likely that others will upgrade also.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so... whos loving the server queues ? lol.. bunch of arse..
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    since I'm on nezekan, the load is more distributed than most other servers, since the 1/3-1/2 half the population is oceanic and most of the rest on the west coast... queues last about 20 minutes at peak peak times on friday and saturday so far... nothing particularly bad any other day. I just hit 25 last night but probably won't be on again until the weekend.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im on EU ENG server and OMG its an arse 2 hour wait when I get home from work at 7pm so that kinda sucks.. but otherwise enjoying the game immensely lvl24 and been getting into PvP fights with the asmodians .. awesome
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just about to ding 40 so I decided to put some pics up.
    Its such a pretty game..

Aion0145.jpg
    Aion0134.jpg
    Aion0131.jpg
    Aion0121.jpg
    Aion0112.jpg
    Aion0094.jpg
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm just shy of 1/2 into 39... molar grinding flt. At least I found some good grinding partners... we did 100 molars in a day.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    have you done the LC quests ? great XP. I was in a 4 man group getting 100k a mob
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah doing lephs this week cause play time was short sessions, my hunting partner is a cleric in my legion, 2 trash to clean up the kite area, 2-3 elites, rest, rinse repeat.

last weekend my molar grinding trio was me the ranger, a sorc and a cleric. The sorc would out dps me so he'd pull and kite while the cleric ran with him to stay close to us and I would follow the mob getting max dmg modifier... went from 37-38 in about 8 hours.

tried the same area with sin, and sm, we did alright but the sin would always pull too much aggro cause he's a sin... and they have no freaking concept of control. then the sm just decided he'd keep the thing feared and they we just stood there and unloaded. still not very efficient but it was decent.