Home General Discussion

protecting Wireless internet

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Belias polycounter lvl 14
Hi & it seems that one of my neighbours < which is a f***ing criminal teenager > , is trying to hack my wireless internet , i have disabled the wireless internet because of him and working on normal internet , is there any <gaurunteed> software that protects my PC , i have made a password for the wifi , but i don't want him to benfit from me , f*** him , if he succeded in getting internet then he may become ambitious and see my HDDs ...

any suggestions ?

anyways , i'm happy :) , no one can make me sad :) .

Replies

• Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    how do you know he's hacking your wireless?
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    just dont broadcast your router name, if he cant see it, he cant hack it.

(i am not a hacker so i might be wrong, but not broadcasting your ssid is a good way to keep people from using it)
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    password protect it?
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok , he works in an internet cafe , he boosted my brother {who runs mobile phones shop} that he is bombing all the PCs at the internet cafe , when i installed the wifi , he tried to call me once and i pretended that i don't hear him , he asked my friends about my mobile number , no one gave it to them , fuck him .
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    password protect it?
    yes
    just dont broadcast your router name, if he cant see it, he cant hack it.

(i am not a hacker so i might be wrong, but not broadcasting your ssid is a good way to keep people from using it)

i used to broadcast it in the past , i can't change it now , he still know the old one , thanks .
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Actually I had a similar question. Using winXP. If I take my laptop over to a coffee shop, I don't want people poking around my folders I have shared for when I'm at home. I've just been opening up my windows firewall settings and turning off "allow exceptions". Is this adequate security?
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Belias wrote: »
    no one can make me sad :)

He does seem to be managing to make you pretty angry, though.
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He does seem to be managing to make you pretty angry, though.
    no .
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    a) use security and NEVER broadcast your SSID
    b) If you didn't have encryption on, he isn't stealing, you are giving it to him for free.
    c) There is no software besides firewall software that will prevent him from getting on and even that wouldn't do anything because your router is the device broadcasting your signal, not your PC.

Jay: That is about the best you are going to do. The better security is to get an aircard and not use public wi-fi. ;) Make sure that you have a password-protected account on the laptop and always use that to log in when you are using public wi-fi. Make the account a non-administrative account so that it makes it a (very tiny) bit harder for them to get into your machine. You could also password protect the folders you share out on your network.

I have some other ideas for that, but they are a little more involved. :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    sigh, I still broadcast my SSID because the name is cute. I guess I should change it now that I have neighbors within Wifi range.

So basically when you aren't broadcasting the SSID it won't show up in detected networks? Do you then have to manually enter the name?
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    Not broadcasting the SSID doesn't protect you, if he knows what he's doing he won't even notice its not broadcast.
    WPA is difficult to crack, Stay away from WEP... WEP goes down in 20 minutes or less.

Use some heavy MAC Filtering, WPA, and if you've got a fairly tech savvy friend, have him/her set up a captive portal.

Aircards are also pretty crappy in terms of bandwidth...
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Also, never set your SSID to your Actual House Address and broadcast, like some silly people on my bus route do.

"Hello burglar! I have tech stuff!"
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    WPA is difficult to crack, Stay away from WEP... WEP goes down in 20 minutes or less.

But the Nintendo DS can't use WPA :(
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner is right on the money with the fact that if the person is savvy enough, not broadcasting your SSID won't do a daaaamn thing, it will deter wanna-be's and nosy neighbors, though. Things like the built-in windows wireless configuration and some of the atrocious software packages that come with some wireless cards normally will only see broadcasted SSIDs, not hidden ones. To set up to connect to one of the non-broadcasted ones, yes, you would need to know the name and set up the connection manually.

And I have to admit, MAC filtering totally escaped my mind. Good thought.

The aircard bit was a bit of a joke, honestly. I'd rather just dial through a modem than an aircard most of the time. :P
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey , i have a perfect idea , is there a way to limit it to 5~7 meters as example ? . i want internet only in my room .
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey , i have a perfect idea , is there a way to limit it to 5~7 meters as example ? . i want internet only in my room .

cat5cable.jpg
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan : what does that mean ?

edit : i get it ... :) , is there a software idea ?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I also discovered Windows 7 will show non-broadcasting, it will just not give the name of the network.

Set up a dns so that only mac addresses that you allow are allowed a ip. That wont help with him intercepting broadcast data, so use the security above.

Also, a friend of a friend whom was really snarky saw someone was stealing his bandwidth. So he set up that persons mac address that any and all webpages they would attempt to go to. Any pictures on the page would display goatse instead. :D

Oh and if possible, use dd-wrt firmware. <3
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Also, a friend of a friend whom was really snarky saw someone was stealing his bandwidth. So he set up that persons mac address that any and all webpages they would attempt to go to. Any pictures on the page would display goatse instead. :D

LOL, awesome.
  • CastratedWeasel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CastratedWeasel polycounter lvl 10
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I've heard of the redirect before and a fun repayment of stealing bandwidth.
    Personally, I would bring it to the attention of his boss if he works at the cafe. If he's doing it at your home, then take it to his parents (if he's still with them, which I assume he is).
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Hi & it seems that one of my neighbours < which is a f***ing criminal teenager > , is trying to hack my wireless internet , i have disabled the wireless internet because of him and working on normal internet , is there any <gaurunteed> software that protects my PC , i have made a password for the wifi , but i don't want him to benfit from me , f*** him , if he succeded in getting internet then he may become ambitious and see my HDDs ...

any suggestions ?

anyways , i'm happy :) , no one can make me sad :) .

A) I think that you can only allow access to certain Mac Addresses from your router, so if his isn't there, even if he knows all your passes and whatnot he would still not be able to connect to your network. That's what a friend told me, I'm not sure if it's possible though.

B) What I know for sure to be possible, is go to his house and confront him. If he gives you any lip, just punch the muthafuka in the kisser and then knee him in the balls + footstomp his head once or twice the moment he touches the ground. That'll send a clear message of "don't fuck with my internets".
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    A kick-ass Faraday Cage?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN wrote: »

B) What I know for sure to be possible, is go to his house and confront him. If he gives you any lip, just punch the muthafuka in the kisser and then knee him in the balls + footstomp his head once or twice the moment he touches the ground. That'll send a clear message of "don't fuck with my internets".

i was just gonna say break his fingers...:poly122:
  • Disco Stu
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few things to clarify (I think some may have already, at least on a few points),

Unless I'm mistaken,

-There are Linux apps that can detect non-broadcast SSIDs, so that's not going to help
    -WEP encryption can be hacked in just a few minutes, at most, a few years ago, it normally took days while an app would search for "interesting packets" of wireless info, and now some hacking tools basically force the router to release such packets
    -WPA and WPA2, not sure what the status is for that encryption, but I'd imagine someone who has no life would find a way around it
    -there are ways to mess with the guy, being able to blur, invert, change, etc. websites that he goes to (just Google for a while, you'll find varying methods)

All in all, I'd just use multiple layers of security, like good encryption, turning off the wireless when it's not in use, etc.

Also, for some more GOOD NEWS, there are some Linux apps that can create thousands of fake LANs/IPs. Just google something like "LINUX app creates thousands fake Lans" and you'll find some info on it. :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The internet is serious business.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    Make your router block ALL Mac-adresses and IPs for WLAN and put your own on the whitelist.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    i was just gonna say break his fingers...:poly122:

Well, I guess that would work as well. If the TS is feeling charitable.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    t4paN wrote: »
    A) I think that you can only allow access to certain Mac Addresses from your router, so if his isn't there, even if he knows all your passes and whatnot he would still not be able to connect to your network. That's what a friend told me, I'm not sure if it's possible though.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/Windows2000/AdminTips/Security/ProtectWirelessAccessUsingMACAddressFilters.html

:)
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I for one am not suspicious of my neighbours.
    Still id like to have a reason to break some fingers,
    so is there any programm that shows me how many ppl are accesing my router?
    Maybe the info is shown somewhere in the router?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I've seen a few articles that always say "this can be bypassed with MAC Address spoofing" so how hard is that? Does it ultimately mean there is ultimately no way to 100% secure your wifi network?

sweet, I said ultimately twice in one sentence!
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stu: You should be able to check in the admin panel of your router and see who is or is not attached.

Justin: No system is 100% secure. Ever.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    bearkub is right...nothing is 100% secure.
    All you can do i make it as hard as possible for the offender to gain access.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    And if at that point he is still hacking in, then you break his fingers.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    bearkub wrote: »
    No system is 100% secure. Ever.

PSHHH, What if I don't have internet? owned.

But really, Why would this teen steal your interwebz? prejudice?
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, WEP no good?