polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Oniram polycounter lvl 17
Hey All,

The-hunter-MainWeb6.jpg

NEW UPDATE:

a_uncharted_2_portrait_lazarevic.jpg&h=180&w=260&zc=1

http://evolve3d.net/feature-speaker-hanno-hagedorn/

Exclusive! Feature Speaker -Hanno Hagedorn - Lead Character Artist at Naughty Dog- talks about what you can expect from his workshop at Evolve CG Conference May 15th -May 16th 2010... Register today! http://www.evolvecg.net/registration

____________________________________________________________________________________________

OLDER POST!
Evolve CG is coming back to South Florida, and with the event, they are having an art challenge: The Hunter.

Taking into consideration the amazing talent among students, we have decided to create an exciting CG Art Contest. The Hunter challenge asks participants to study and create the ultimate Hunter character/scenario.

The challenge will be open to all students currently enrolled in any computer graphic art or animation program (at any college or animation school), or who has graduated within seven months of entering this challenge.

For full information about all challenge description, rules, prizes and requirements please click on the hunter’s artwork above or visit: http://evolve3d.net/the_hunter/

Challenge Categories:

* Individual Entry: Concept Design, Character Modeling, Character Texturing, Character Animation
* Team Entry (The Hunters World): Environment (Modeling, Texturing, Lighting, *Animation optional)

The Challenge is being sponsored by ImagineFX, 3d World, Pixologic, Wacom, Digicel, and a few others, who will be giving over $16,000 worth of prizes.

If you are interested in this challenge, please visit the site listed above, for more info, and feel free to register on the forums. (If you wouldn't mind, list me - Oniram - as your reference).

Hope all who join this have a great time in the contest, and I look forward to seeing many entries.

*(To whom it may concern, I have received permission from the polycount admins to post this)

Replies

• psychoticprankster
    Good luck to everyone who competes in this challange!
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Great idea for students.

Especially since works a bit slim with the GFC.

Good luck everyone.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looks great unfortunately I stopped being a student last year
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Not in an "animation program" lame ass rules.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    :O!

Awesome!

Might have to give this a shot.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    Not in an "animation program" lame ass rules.

The contest is aiming towards students because there is a very high amount of students who are currently attending school for game art or animation. Mostly along the eastern coast of the united states. The main point of this event was to bring some of the professionals to the east coast to see what is really out there. Last year at the event, there were people from Dreamworks, Digital Domain, Blizzard, and some others. With the contest this year, people who could not attend the event will still have a chance to be part of it (winners of the contest get tickets to the event). i understand that it is a bit limited, but if it were open to graduates or professionals, students would have less of a chance.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't see any rules mentioning that its American only? In fact there is no mention of country based entry at all.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am currently awaiting a response from the head of the event to figure out if it is open to students of other countries, however i can not say for sure whether or not it will be. In my last post, if i did say anything to make anyone think it is not open to non-US residents, let me clarify.

The event itself is being held in Fort Lauderdale, Florida (right across from the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale). The main reason for this location is because many talented students come out of fort lauderdale, but it is hard for them to get to the west coast for work. this event is bringing the west coast to the east, essentially.

The Hunter Challenge, however, opens the event to much more people who are unable to attend the event (last year i do not recall if many students outside of the state of Florida showed up to the event). Keep in mind this is the second year of the event, and they are just trying to progressively grow.

In regards again to the entry from students not in the united states, i am still awaiting the response, and as soon as i get it, ill let you know.

ALSO* Update on the challenge. Autodesk has joined as a sponsor, and will be giving 3ds Max, Maya Lisences as prizes to the grand prize winner.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • karart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good , a studient contest it's very cool
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alrightey here is the e-mail. ill copy it directly for all of you. :D

In regards to the students question the only thing we ask is that if they must be a student or have at least graduated 7 months prior to entering the competition. It doesn't only apply to students from within the United States but if a participant wins they must be present at the 2010 Evolve conference in order to claim their prizes.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugger :(.

Wish that was started more clearly in the rules, as that is the only mention of it.

I might join regardless of prizes though... Either that or ill just have to win enough to make the trip worth it haha.

I'm also a little confused by this, isn't the point of this to try and promote the best in students. By putting this restriction on the entry it suddenly becomes a whole lot less competitive and there will be a fraction of the entries; Just have a look at how varied the winners are from dominance war. I mean hell imagine fx isn't even an American magazine? :susp:
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Moved this to General Discussion as this isn't a Polycount Contest or Challenge.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I will be competing. I am glad this is student only, as it allows students who are really pushing themselves to get a bit of exposure to help land a job in the industry.

Good luck to all those that participate!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Oniram wrote: »
    The contest is aiming towards students because there is a very high amount of students who are currently attending school for game art or animation. Mostly along the eastern coast of the united states. The main point of this event was to bring some of the professionals to the east coast to see what is really out there. Last year at the event, there were people from Dreamworks, Digital Domain, Blizzard, and some others. With the contest this year, people who could not attend the event will still have a chance to be part of it (winners of the contest get tickets to the event). i understand that it is a bit limited, but if it were open to graduates or professionals, students would have less of a chance.

I'm a student, just a student though, I don't know if that qualifies me as "all students currently enrolled in any computer graphic art or animation program (at any college or animation school)"
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic - sorry. when adam gave me the go-ahead, he never really specified where to post, just that i should write that i did have permission.

ZacD what school are you a student of?

Muzz - maybe you should post about that on the forum. but also keep in mind, DW is not aimed directly toward students. anyone can enter. DW gets your name out there, but that doesnt necessarily mean you will find a job in the industry. I dont know for sure but i can probably guess that most DW entrants are not in the industry. Evolve is looking for people who are currently on their way to being in the industry. the event/competition is an extra push for them. I dont have the list of judges for the competition on me, but i know there are some major studios judging the final entries for the competition (only one i can think of off the top of my head is Ubisoft). i understand that the limit does have its bearings on the competition, but the entire competition is aimed specifically towards a certain group of people.
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    What are the specs and limitations of this?(tri count, texture size etc)
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apparently there isn't one. This was asked on the forums on their site.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Community college.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i will assume that the community college you attend does not have a game art/ animation degree, (please correct me if i am wrong). unfortunately if that is the case then you will not be able to enter.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It does have a program, but its terrible...
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that is very unfortunate. what is the name of the college?

also:
    s0id3 wrote: »
    What are the specs and limitations of this?(tri count, texture size etc)

as of now i am not sure whether or not there will be, but the contest opens october 5th, so maybe then more info will be released.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Does it matter?
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no. id just like to know for my own personal info. i am just interested to see what kind of work comes out of the college.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Oniram wrote: »
    no. id just like to know for my own personal info. i am just interested to see what kind of work comes out of the college.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqQ19dZv0U4[/ame]

normal community college crap.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRVmEYdnlfs[/ame]
  • 3DK.P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DK.P. polycounter lvl 10
    Hahah Robo Commando was pretty awesome. I like the brick making the tank explode and all that.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pretty neat ideas. hopefully we can get some entries from that school.
  • guangh69
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guangh69 polycounter lvl 13
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    oh man. this sounds like a great contest to enter! I am really stoked about this. From oct - jan. should be plenty of time. :) woot woot.

** hey Haiasi, glad to see you around dude. I saw tucker on the EvolveCG thread. Is that dude on PC too?
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    fuck! wish id stayed in school :(

good luck to all participants!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Mike,

No, Tucker isn't on Polycount. I have referenced a lot of useful threads from here for him to read but I don't think he's ever created an account. He does browse around he from time to time because he's sent me a few links as well.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Cool. I'm still within the 7 months period. October will be my 7th month out of school. :p

I guess I'll see how I feel at the time. For the last 6 months all the models I have done have been for competitions, I kind of want to do something with no deadlines and have a real WIP thread. I also don't like the idea of no limits. When there is no limits, I feel like judges will probably prefer high poly film type stuff and not appreciate what it takes to make the extra step to game res (10 maps vs 1 map, 10 obviously will look better). I guess it depends on the judges though.

Edit: Wow this is really soon, Oct.5th. Hmm, I do sort of want to enter now.:poly134:
  • akacg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akacg polycounter lvl 12
    yes I will also be competing.
    good luck to all. :poly121:
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a trailer for the challenge was just put up on youtube

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNZ9-ZNr45U[/ame]
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'll be competing too, gathering images for ideas right now.
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muh, to bad I don't have time for this because of my studentprojects :s
    Going to send this to my teachers. maybe they can put it between the schoolprojects.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a_uncharted_2_portrait_lazarevic.jpg&h=180&w=260&zc=1

http://evolve3d.net/feature-speaker-hanno-hagedorn/

Exclusive! Feature Speaker -Hanno Hagedorn - Lead Character Artist at Naughty Dog- talks about what you can expect from his workshop at Evolve CG Conference May 15th -May 16th 2010... Register today! http://www.evolvecg.net/registration
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Grah! I just graduated from AI in Fort Lauderdale and moved a little over a year ago and we never had anything this awesome happen the whole time I was their. D:

I do have two questions though: Will Hannos session be recorded, and does him now being the lead CA at ND mean Richard has left or did he switch positions in the company? Despite not being able to attend I'd still like to get the chance to see Hannos demonstration if at all possible.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    last year they recorded the event, but i do not know if they gave people the opportunity to view the recordings.. doubtful.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit disappointed in the final outcome. A lot of what was said before the competition on what is important in a piece to be considered was not followed through with. A work in progress thread was stated to make up a MAJORITY of the criteria for choosing winners.

Irony: some of the winners picked created a WIP thread a week before deadline.

Really?

It would be nice to see a write up from the judges of why they feel the winners were most deserving.

Nonetheless, the final pieces chosen across all categories show a fine level of execution and really show top notch work amongst students. I'm happy for the opportunities that the competition gave and it was a great chance to engage with others with a similar passion.

The winners are all in:

Concept Design

Modeling

Texturing

Animation

Team
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, the winning entries are incredible across the board!
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    I completely agree with you Haiasi and I too would like to see a write up of why the judges felt certain entries were more deserving than others.

What can I say... Congrats to all the winners. That being said I'm pretty disappointed at the outcome of this.

Oh well.. at least I got a character out of it. Time to move on with life.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with your outlook. I feel the work I created for the competition was top of the line portfolio work for myself and I'm really proud of what I came up with.

I really don't understand how in the judging criteria it says to concept all of the equipment the hunter uses, as well as create a world for him to live in yet two of the winners for concept design did no such thing.

To quote from the criteria exactly:
    "We want you to include certain aspects of your character that makes it effective at hunting, this could be in the form of weapons, technology, gadgets or just your characters overall physique."

and

"We want to know everything that makes them so effective at tracking their prey. Things like, what type of gear or weaponry they use that enables them to be the best at what they do?"

Where was that in winner #2? No where. He has a lot of skill but didn't do anything the competition asked for. But who cares? The judges didn't even judge based on what the competition said it would be about. This just kind of turned into another "Ooh, cool picture, you win!" competition.

#3 described his work, but had absolutely no variation in any design. He just started sketching out one character and fleshed it out. Where is the concept in that? Elimination of inferior designs? You can't bring something like that to a client and expect them to be happy. It's not a realistic approach to concept art.

I am disappointed to say that I believe the judges were so busy with work that they merely chose what they felt had the most well executed sell painting.

"We want to know everything that makes them so effective at tracking their prey.". 2 and 3 are not hunters. #2 is a scantily clad warrior chick and #3 is a monster with a sword who lives in an empty white world.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Well, looks like an awsome opportunity! Good luck everyone (for those who are participating) :)
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The... competition is over... you may wanna read the last few posts.
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The third didnt even have ortho views. I agree with you, I think the judges were probably very busy and just glanced over the entries. If this is so its not very fair to those of us who put months of work into our entries only to have it glanced at and looked over. I personally feel you and Krik TJ's characters should have placed.

I was pretty taken aback that gordonV's hunter drone placed third. I really thought his model was a lock for first given the immense amount of hard surface modeling and organic sculpting he put into it. I really thought this was a modeling contest, not just a sculpting contest.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funny you should say that beartraps. Shaun Keenan, the first place winner, is a really good friend of mine. He was saying that Krik TJ's work was also very deserving of placing and I agree with both of you.

The only people I thought that really had a shot at the top 3 places were Shaun, Krik, and myself. We all followed the instructions and created unique hunters with a full development process with orthos and everything. We were very pipeline-realistic in terms of the work put out. In fact, there were about 2-3 others that were really damn good in terms of concept art. Better than 2nd and 3rd by a long shot.

I literally feel like the project I created could be handed to a team and be made into an animated short with how much work I put into it. I have a description for fuckin' everything: the hunter, the back story of the hunter, the beast, the mount, the village, the environment the hunter lives in, and all of the tools used and descriptions of how they're specific to the hunt.

The more I think about it, the more it pisses me off.

Oh, and apparently modeling is just sculpting to them. Another funny thing about that is how industry professionals don't want to hire people that only know how to use Zbrush and are actually annoyed by the fact that some people solely use Zbrush and never learn the basics of topology and edge flow in Max, Maya, XSI, or another 3D package.

To finish it off, no it wasn't fair at all how poorly the judges judged everything. We did put in a full 4 months of work into this and people that just tossed shit together in a fraction of the time with little to no thought won. If those people get interviewed they won't have jack shit to talk about because their project is so poorly thought out.

"Oh, well I did a bunch of sketches and I liked this one so I finished it. My final idea was kind of a hot warrior chick"

I could have given an hour speech on my entire project.
  • Apophis3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The outcome of the contest results clearly skipped over the guidelines they stated at the start of the contest.

Mainly directed to the concept art section.... First place went over all this stuff in the guidelines and turned out great. He put lots of work into the design process. However the other two top places? I don't doubt they are good artists but where are the other views? The design process of the concept? They don't give me a sense of what this hunter does, how he or she hunts? It's just a pretty picture of a hunter or is it? We don't know the whole back story of these hunters.

I did not take part in this contest but followed it and yeah it does not seem like the judging really took into account the design process like they should have. It almost feels like a rigged contest, kind of makes one lose faith in Evolve CG, and I don't feel I would ever want to take part in a contest from them in the future. If someone can just come in draw one nice picture with no clear direction of where the concept came from, half nude girl with sword.... what in the world is she hunting? What kind of prey does a half nude girl with a huge sword going to hunt, rabbits maybe? I really would like to know, I could see her maybe hunting something like werewolfs but we don't now it was not there. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, no doubt it really sucks for those of us that put months of thought and hard work into our pieces to only have them go unnoticed and overlooked. I understand not everyone can place, but I think its easy to tell how much time and effort someone put into something as opposed to something crafted in a matter of hours or days.

Oh well, it is what it is. Now I know to not attempt a photoreal human for a contest next time..

Isaiah are u gonna go to the conference?