Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Whaleboy

Hi everybody!

After a long time of absence in this forum, this is my first WIP in years. I'm so excited to start out again and hopefully be a more active part in this community.

So I hope you like this WIP. The original creator of Whaleboy is Patrick Morgan. Then Bobby Chiu made a drawing of it. So I'm recreating it in 3D. You can see the painting here

I created the basemeshes in Maya, then sculpted in Zbrush. And after a long long time, now I finally got some spare time to get back to my personal proyects, so I'm trying to finish this little guy first from all the other projects I've started.

I've finished creating a low res geo version (while tweaking a bit some of the proportions). I created a diffuse and normal map, still need to tune up a bit the specular maps as well as the diffuse in some areas. Created the main lighting idea which needs to be tuned. Fiddling with the shaders as well and getting the camera into somewhat the position according to the reference (i think I need to change the focal length for the camera to match my reference better).

Still a long way to go, but at least I'm getting somewhere now. Hope to finish this soon.

All feedback is great for me, so all c&c is more than welcome.

Thanks for reading!

whaleboy_texture_WIP03.jpeg

ZSculpt_02.jpg

ZSculpt_03.jpg

Replies

• FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    Seems a little top heavy. Idk how it will perform in the field of combat. :P

Anyway, the face seems very creepy. I see what seems to be very large eye sockets, but then very tiny eyes with side-ways eye lids. *shiver* Some bigger more refined eyes would do wonders. :D