Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Indy Character: Issues with proportions.

It probably indicates i'm doomed as a character artist if I can't get proportions correct at this late stage.

My previous character was aligned to the UDK skeleton, assuming UDK had gotten the proportions anatomically correct.
Instead, UDK use the skeleton of A GORILLA it seems.

For this character I used Vitruvian man, overlayed with other sources.

proportions.jpg

I still dont feel comfortable with it. Its a muscular character, but the hands, modelled on Vitruvian, seems too small.
Beside the torso, are the arms of the previous character, with longer arms and massive hands.

This may be a case of lack of confidence, and in fact proportions are fine, but i need your feedback.
As for the rest of the character:

Full.jpg

Will have gloves on, but the size of the hands still worry me.

Replies

• Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another image of hands flat forward:

proportions2.jpg
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    hey man, this looks really promising. I wouldn't put too much faith in the vitruvian man, you should study some photos of real human mens bodys, subscribe to 3d.sk if you haven't already, and keep building up a folder full of good male anatomy references and use those. that way you get more angles and variation and can see exactly where the problems lie.

As it stands, i think they look about right. If you compare your hand to other parts of your body it will give a good point of comparison, such as holding your palm over your face, you'll see it reaches from your chin all the up more than half way up your forehead, and the ones in your model look like they are about that size.

I think the issues with your hands are not the size but the forms. I think the fingers and masses of the hand are too slim, and there's a strange dip from the end of the ulna into the palm. I'd just check out some more hand reference and you'll get it right.

I think some of the details of your character are looking great, though I'd try and find a better matcap to show it off. Those very matte ones don't do a great job showing off all the forms and details both for helping you out when you're sculpting and for renders.

pfSzt.jpg
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Mr.Ace :D Cool I know where to go from here.

I should just add that I've been using my own arms/hands as reference, and physically, I am the thinnest freakiest bloke on the planet. What-a-mistake-a-tomake-a
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    I wont help you there, But I LOVE the character, looks so awesome