Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

So I refuse to ZBrush my girl...

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
My new model girl. Just finished yesterday.
female_base_by_pyrasia-d51gq8b.jpg

And here's basic blocking of her clothing. Hopefully that looks steampunk-ish.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/ASNZern/SteamPunkGirl_01_by_PyrZern.jpg

Now, how do I create clothing folds and wrinkles O o'

Replies

• yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    without zbrush?

you could try and paint them in your diffuse sheet, then nDo it. there are other ways, but this one will get you kind of "close" to a zbrush normal.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Model the big one's the same way you did the clavicle. Do the smaller ones in the texture.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I think with her being 9 heads tall, having tubes for arms, floating breasts, extremely thin fingers, and other various anatomical issues - you've got other things to worry about than avoiding zbrush.
  • dproeder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dproeder polycounter lvl 5
    Don't sweat the small people giving you crap Pyrzern. Though I do think you need to spend more time on the fingers. When adding the folds of clothes and whatnot, don't be afraid of using triangles and even a few n-gons. As long as it doesn't cause weird creasing when you sub-divide, its fine. Sub dividing makes everything quads anyways (at least it does when you apply a smooth in Maya.) I see you are already taking this into consideration.

Any reason why you arn't using zbrush though? Challenging yourself a bit?
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed on the fingers though xD Her breasts were modeled with Bra in mind, or are they still floating even with Bra on ?

Just wanna see if I can make it good and with some levels of details without sculpting.

Thanks for your feedbacks ;)
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    Snader wrote: »
    I think with her being 9 heads tall, having tubes for arms, floating breasts, extremely thin fingers, and other various anatomical issues - you've got other things to worry about than avoiding zbrush.

not to sound harsh, but you should work these issues too.

make sure before you pass onto texturing, you have a good model (im no char artist, but afaik a good model includes good anatomy, good topology and a nice tricount - not saying yours hasnt got any of these, but you could get them even better).
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The harsher, the better in this case. I might defend my model a bit, but if I can't win the reasoning, then that just mean I need to improve it.
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    Are you planning on making the texture in MS Paint?

Blockout looks alright but your anatomy has no rythm to the proportions, your limbs are all symmetrical, like snader said: Tubes.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, could you elaborate more on the 'tube limbs' ?
    This is what I have atm. Need more shape for muscle ? Or do I need to add topology for muscle line as well ?

SteamPunkGirl_02.jpg
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    Untitled-2.gif

This example isnt ideal so I don't recommend copying it but it is just there to illustrate the point that limbs have a rythm to them.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    If you don't want to use zbrush for the clothes, nothing wrong with using cloth sim.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I mean that your limbs (mostly noticable on the shoulder) are just cylinders with some moved vertices. There are no edgeloops to indicate any muscle flow.

ShoulderTopology?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=PiorOberson_shoulder-compare.jpg

More about anatomical topology on the polycount wiki
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't see you posted a ref, thanks ;) Will try to follow that to further improve my topo.

Here's what I have so far.
    SteamPunkGirl_03.jpg

Anatomy Ref in case someone wants it
    http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/ASNZern/Untitled-2.jpg
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    You're still bulging the upper arm out, compare your reference. the curves are different. The upper arm in your ref is almost straight on both sides.

I don't think thats a particularly good reference anyway as its set at a slight angle and yours is not, it's also a male arm.

PyrZern01.gif
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    snip, never mind, not the right time to be posting......:D
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Can you post a full straight on view and side view? With and without wires would be nice as well; it would be easier to see and critique the anatomy.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will do tomorrow ;P Hitting the sack now. I been making some changes mainly height, finger, hands, and breasts.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my latest update. Will continue on to her legs today after work.
    ......... Her hips look a little big O o'

SteamPunkGirl_04.jpg
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea she is what out of proportion and out of balance. Find good reference for working, unfortunately all my human anatomy reference is in book from. I found this on google though, it might help with propotions.
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_szk7wZ0O6mc/TCfrS3lmyKI/AAAAAAAAAtU/GYD_Ap7huoY/s1600/Female_Anatomy_02.jpg
    NSFW
    Also there are a bunch of websites with nude references of females in like a million different poses with will help.
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

A few crits :)

Waist is too high and its mass to big, it should be larger due to it being a woman but it's out of proportion ATM,

What I'd suggest, as I just said is open the reference Bardler shown, next to the screenshot of yours and see the differences and where and then change them

:) it would be much easier if you were to concentrate on 1 area and get it perfect before moving back and forth between arm, fingers, height etc
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. I'm working on it. Weekdays are too busy for me to continue, so will have to be during weekend.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    No zbrush? Ok...how about....drawing out a concept first...THEN modeling? If your anatomy in your drawing is on point, then you shouldn't have many issues on your 3d anatomy.
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dont get why you dont want to use zbrush? theres alttle bit of a learning curve and the interface at first can make you be like wtf but its super easy and fun to use after that.... and makes things like fixing proportions super easy, instead of pulling verts around.

get yourself a tablet pen if you aint already got 1 and 'buy' a copy of zbrush :D
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Why are there concentric edgeloops around the belly button?

:/

Seems like the reason to do that, would be because you want the belly button to move around autonomously from the spine.

BTW, Modelling something is fine. You don't have to Zbrush everything, and this is fantastic practice.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 wrote: »
    No zbrush? Ok...how about....drawing out a concept first...THEN modeling? If your anatomy in your drawing is on point, then you shouldn't have many issues on your 3d anatomy.

Unfortunately my drawing skill is so poor there's no anatomy in any of my concept >_<"

Oh, and I picked the Title like so because it's such a good eye-catcher xD
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Unfortunately my drawing skill is so poor there's no anatomy in any of my concept >_<"

Oh, and I picked the Title like so because it's such a good eye-catcher xD

Traditional art skills are extremely important in the 3D medium. You could know Maya, zBrush, and/or 3DS Max in and out, but without any basic art knowledge your final product wont be that good. If you are in school take an intro drawing class and then a figure class, this will help with seeing and understanding form, human anatomy, and even a little composition. Its going to be nearly impossible to learn human anatomy going straight to 3D, with no 2D understanding of it.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not in school anymore. I took 1 class in 3d modelling, and that's pretty much it. Just enough to get me interested, and some basic poly pulling stuff. I learn all the rest from online. My drawing skill comes from self-studying Japanese manga... which isn't a good source for anatomy. T_T