Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Hanan Fogel, 3D Artist

Hi guys,

My name is Hanan. I'm a fairly new 3D artist and I've found the gaming industry very appealing, so I'm currently focusing my talents on low poly modeling (hard surface only at the moment).

I've got a new demo reel which I'd like to share with you guys:
https://vimeo.com/channels/hananfogel

Would appreciate any kind of feedback on the models and textures and everything you might think that needs my attention.

Thanks a lot,
Hanan

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    1. Hey, if you are going to show still images, don't use video form. Use images. Video presentation should only be used for 2-3 reasons; something rotating, or something with time-lapse, or something with sound.

2. So, you might want to create a website instead. Could be Blog, or Word Press, or anything HTML.

3. If you want to focus on low-poly modeling, you need to cut down a lot lot more polys. Helmet should be no more than 300poly. Uzi maybe like a 1000 poly, and Grenade maybe 300poly as well. You need to make use of Normal Map instead of modeling every small details.

Hope that helps.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Not a bad start, you seem to have the basic principles laid down and ready to move forward. Its nice to see your early work going through the whole process of modelling, baking and texturing etc...

Moving forward you could keep working on improving your skills and learning from mistakes. I recommend making something a little bolder, giant digger, large industrial machine, mad max truck etc... it will allow you to work more on your hard surface skills while learning the ways of tackling something a little more complex.

If your looking to go down the environment path I recommend making a building from reference, see how well you fair making something to scale and with structural integrity.

Also to comment on what PyrZern said about polycount I personally wouldn't get to tied up about nailing some imaginary platform limitations. If for example you make a 1000 triangle helmet as long as its made in a professional way it won't be looked down on by potential employers.

An example would be that a first person gun in Crysis 2 is around 10,000-15,000 triangles. But compare that to something like Call of Duty which is something like 3000-5000 (just pulling numbers out of thin air as an example) each specification produces a different result but they are both produced at a high quality to there limitations.
  • hananf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi,

PyrZern, IchII3D - Thanks for the quick responses. any critique about the textures?

PyrZern -
    1-2) Yeh, I know web-site is the best way to show my models. I still haven't got one, as I still dont have that many models to show...:-( but that is one of my goals for the near future. in the meantime, until it will be ready, I thought I can upload this slideshow so I can at least get a feedback on my work or, with lots of luck, get even a job interview.
    3) not much to say. from what I saw or read I understood that FPS weapon should be around 10000tris. I've made the Uzi with ~4700 tris so I thought I made it to the promised land big time...

IchII3D-
    I did some low poly buildings (without any bakes) in my previous job. it was used in a web-application. not that high quality piece of work (in my opinion). I might get one or two buildings and improve them.
    I also thought of doing some kind of a vehicle as my next model. I'll look for some interesting heavy machine to model.

any useful links I can use to see some people's work?
    thanks,
    Hanan
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Like IchII3D said, Low-Poly is subjective. It depends on what game engine, or game console we are talking about. 10k poly for a weapon might be fine for some FPSs, but will they still call that Low-Poly ? I dunno. But I know that they not gonna do it if it's for, let's say, smartphone games. The reason I brought up that point about low poly is simply because you mentioned you want to focus your talents on low poly modeling.

Oh, and you might want to show Texture Maps (diffuse, normal, spec, alpha, etc.) as well. Doesn't have to be full-sized. A scaled-down will do just fine.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    For a AAA PC/Console title, your work is low-poly enough, as in game-ready, as in not a bajillion triangles in zBrush. If you want to work for mobiles, though yeah it's a bit too much. Personally, I'd call things 'highpoly', 'realtime' or 'game ready' (what you have), or 'lowpoly' (for the iPhone).