Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Dmitri Sestakov - Animator

Hello,
This is my portfolio site I created as I graduated three moths ago:
http://dmi3animation.com/
I was pretty happy with it, but then I was advised to post it here to get more constructive criticism, which, to be honest, I had very little before.
Please leave some critiques on both content and web site itself.

And yes, I also looking for a job, so feel free to contact me if you could use my skills.

Thanks.

Replies

• Jalcober
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
    Your website doesn't seem to be working for me.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I liked your reel, really solid work. But one thing i really hate is coming to a site and automaticly be thrown with a video in my face. Why not a simple Vimeo instead of that autoplaying stuff?

Also whenever im refreshing it starts playing, wich is really annoying.
  • johnicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems to load and display just fine for me in Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and IE.

I'm not an animator myself but I think that is a nice demo reel! You have a good, simple layout. The virtual gallery is a neat idea, I though of doing that myself, but when I played it I had some problems moving around. WASD was working but I only manage to get it to track my mouse to look around one time, and ended up staring at the floor.

What I did see of the gallery though, you should have a few more pieces in there. Maybe instead of bringing the model and animation directly in, can you import the video clips and have them "projected" on the wall?
  • Dmi3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober, where are you located? I'll need to contact support to see why it doesn't work for in your location.

@ Visceral, actually making it play automatically that's what my instructor advised, saying the less steps people need to do to see my reel the better, but I agree with your point, it's easy to change. Thanks

I could use more thoughts on main page: is it better to have auto play on or off? Thanks

@ johnicus, I thought about making projected animations, but I'll have to buy full version of Unity to use animated textures, which I can't afford right now. Also, I'm working on new materials to be added, I know, it's very empty right now. Thanks