Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Military Robots

Hey everyone! Still abit of a newbie, so don't be too hard on me, lol.

Last semester, we had an exercise in which we were instructed to create 3 objects that use the same texture maps.

To do this we created a texture with elements that tiled either vertically or horizontally, and mapped the UVs to specific points in the textures.

I did abit of tweaking on the texture yesterday and took some renders in marmoset and here are the results:

screenshot0_thumb%25255B22%25255D.jpg?imgmax=800
textures_thumb%25255B1%25255D.jpg?imgmax=800

The left and right robots were designed by concept artist Igor Podoprygora aka ~vianreps (vianreps.deviantart.com/), who was kind enough to let me model them a while back. Check out the original artwork here: vianreps.deviantart.com/art/ISU-256391433
http://vianreps.deviantart.com/gallery/32046982#/d3diyua

Here are some turntables of the robots, I didn’t bother making one for the little dude, because, honestly, he doesn’t look as good as the other two.

preview%25255B5%25255D.jpg?imgmax=800 msupreview%25255B5%25255D.jpg?imgmax=800

I'd love to get some comments on this and ideas on how to improve my technique. Not too sure how workable these would be in a game environment, since I had to add a bunch of extra polys so I could map stuff properly, is the tradeoff worth it in your opinion?

Thanks in advance!