Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mass Effect 3 Falcon

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Eclypse polycounter lvl 7
I love the design of the mass effect universe. I made this gun for fun. C& C welcome. Original Concept by Brian Sum Concept

Edit:Tweaked the material to match the concept art more, and adjusted the lighting

Software: Maya, Zbrush, Mudbox, Photoshop, Marmoset

SJQdW.jpg
derkQ.jpg
MyNJk.jpg
zzPzS.jpg

Replies

• ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    hmm..looks like you got some normal map shading errors near the butt of the gun. Mind showing us your sheets?
  • Callesw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aside from the technical stuff; I think it looks great, and a lot like the concept :)
    The thing that stands out to me right now is the visualisation of the shapes of the weapon.
    It's hard to put your finger on, but if you look at the concept, it has a clearer separation of the values of the materials. Ex, the very clear "arc-shape" the weapon got going, which is a cool feature of the gun, almost disapears as it is right now.

Try to take the picture you uploaded into photoshop and tweak it a bit so that it looks more like the concept! It always helps me a lot :)
    I'd recomend the levels adjustment.
  • Eclypse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclypse polycounter lvl 7
    @ErichWK: I'm not quite sure where the problems is, but here is the map with the butt part outlined

XsEBn.jpg

@Callesw: thanks, I see what you mean by the material differences. I'll give it a try
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    You know what, no more critiquing while on my phone. I mistook your grunge for a normal error. =P Sorry! Good hipoly!
  • systemic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    systemic polycounter lvl 7
    I agree with Callesw, the only thing holding this back is the materials. Maybe higher contrast or changing the specularity settings of your mats will help.

I've been a long time fan of Brian Sum's work. Would love to see updates.
  • Ayzon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i started the same, but my mesh looks not so good^^
    if someone want to take a look.: http://www.blendpolis.de/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=39522

Good work, looks nice. I hope i get a similar result.^^
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    I think the reason for the weapon not looking that good is because you made it seem like it's made of plastic while the original concept looks like some sort of metal.Mettal works with enviroment reflections and in this case blurred specular reflections and darken diffuse so the reflections are more visible.I'd also avoid making scratched edges just a lighter color, you need to learn to actually shade those scratches so that are more blurred in gloss map than the normal metal and also they should shine less, it's all in the contrast imo not so much in diffuse.You would also need to invest your time in a gloss map.Good luck great model thou !