Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

I'd like some constructive crits on this PLR16 model I'm making (wip)

3TrUA.png

It's definitely not final yet, obviously. It's a Kel-Tec PLR19. I'm currently having some trouble trying to flow the trigger guard into the pistol grip, as you can see here in one of my reference pictures.

I wanted to make it high-poly originally for normal maps. I have no idea how to make it high-poly from here though; I know about Turbosmoothing but that gives so many undesired results I'm trying to refrain from using it as much as I can.

How could I do that?

Replies

• JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    Can you post wires?
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Try blocking the grip first.The fillet and all even if it's made from 3 vertices block the curvature then start cuting in the grip that curved trigger guard.
  • Recurracy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you post wires?
    6gJV8.png
    Here it is. I realise it isn't as great as the usual wireframe render on the website, but I've learned this technique literally five seconds ago.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well if you want to go highpoly with it, using turbosmooth, you should probably look into some highpoly tutorials, they will cover support edges. Thats what you need for the model not the get totally messed up by the turbosmooth.

Other than that i cant really say much at this stage. You said yourself that its loong way from beeing concidered finished. So me mentioning that alot of parts are missing might just be beacuse you havent finished the actual model yet.

I like the forms of the barell however. Reminds me of an AK.
  • Recurracy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, yeah, reminds me of the AK aswell. I guess Kel-tec just went with the system. Some lads on another forum told me it's a really shitty system though. Oh well.

I've already seen some tutorials twice, so I think I should be covered. I just hope I can get the support edges to look right.