Home General Discussion

Stylized models, Realistic textures?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
So a few friends of mine and myself are going to be working on our final project this coming school year.

We've started hashing out bits of story and stuff like that and getting a feel for what we want. We'll be posting lots of stuff for it once things get going but at the moment we're starting on the basics, which is to say, a style guide so we all a have a clear vision of what we want to achieve once we get down into concepting and modeling.

One of the things we've decided on so far is that it will have stylized models/proportions but relatively realistic textures.

I'll be doing lots of my own research as well but I figured I'd ask PC can you think of any beautiful games that fit that criteria?

Cause I know generally the idea is to go both stylized or both realistic...

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Pixar would like to say Hi, most, if not, all of their texture are what you would call realistic, not to mention the shaders they use, yet they stylize the design.

So yeah, it is possible, but the problem that you will encounter is balancing the two so that they look natural, so one doesn't outweigh the other in terms of design or feeling.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I'd also put the game Brink in this catagory. It has stylized characters with realistic-ish textures. Not to mention it's an amazingly beautiful game.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Brink is the first thing that comes to mind when you mention stylised characters with a realistic treatment.

Pixar not so much.

EDIT: Ninjaed
  • Daelus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gears/God of War are both heavily detailed, but neither show characters that are at all realistic. The proportions are obviously pushed out of the realms of strict realism. Anything by Blizzard is also a pretty decent place to look. Street Fighter 4, actually pretty much all modern fighting games are good too, lots of pushed proportions and outlandish costumes.

I guess it comes down to what you mean by "stylized".
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    A good art director can make anything work.
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm,Simon Bisley?
  • Carbon14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carbon14 polycounter lvl 10
    While not a game, the Tintin movie is a pretty amazing example of realistic materials/lighting on stylized caricatured models.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    The first thing that came to mind was Little Big Planet.
    Has lots of realistic materials for things. but on a tiny scale and using stylized models
  • Pangahas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pangahas polycounter lvl 10
    The Tintin movie is pretty amazing yes but it looks kinda creepy at first how Tintin looks realistic texture wise but the character is stylized.It grew on me though the rest of the movie and enjoyed it.
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    Daelus wrote: »
    Gears/God of War are both heavily detailed, but neither show characters that are at all realistic. The proportions are obviously pushed out of the realms of strict realism. Anything by Blizzard is also a pretty decent place to look. Street Fighter 4, actually pretty much all modern fighting games are good too, lots of pushed proportions and outlandish costumes.

I guess it comes down to what you mean by "stylized".

gears is not so much stylized... its more exagerated id say, but those anatomic traits are fairly possible to be found in a human being. at least thats what ive read and been told.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    in a way gears is over detailed, huge amounts of normals information on all surfaces even in real life it wouldn't appear that detailed unless really close up, and the levels of damage and types of damage to things are pushed beyond what you would see, in picture of destroyed cities from the world wars, or even current ongoing wars.

though guess your also fighting a alien bug army that digs through the ground, not the traditional army that uses artillery and bombs.

though gow and ut games are largely meant for showing off epics technology, so of course they want the brick in the wall poping out of your screen not the wall, and thigns like that.

but ya for what you want play with proportions especially on characters, but also on objects, also play with the amount of detail, large amounts of detail doesn't always = more realistic so you prolly could go more sparse on it, also play with color.

for games a other good example is Mirrors Edge, very stylized look, but if you break it down, all the materials and props are very much based in the real world.

when it comes to stylized environments, i find the most interesting ones, are ones that feel like they could exist in real life, if the world had a different past, which kinda brings me back to the Mirrors edges example, and the start of hl2.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Monsters vs aliens comes to my mind

72144_bl.jpg
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    I've been doing a similar thing myself, i'll post some of my WIPs:

v0Z2q.jpg
    9gmxe.jpg
    7R0lN.jpg
    EvC42.jpg
    excuse the horrid bumpmapping effect in that last one, its a result of the extreme light. They're all heavily WIP.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Not super-realistic textures or ultra-stylized proportions, but Mars needs Moms is lodged pretty smack-dab in the uncanny valley.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrViquF2nug"]MARS NEEDS MOMS "No Broccoli" Clip - YouTube[/ame]

MarsNeedsMoms_Gribble.jpg
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    hah that looks fun- might give it a watch tonight :)