Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gunker - The Scrapheap Robot

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
dproeder polycounter lvl 5
Latest Update:
UDK_render_001.jpg

Its been a while since I've posted anything so I took a break from UDK tutorials to make something.

Gunker_Photo.jpg

Highpoly_front_001.JPG

Highpoly_left_001.JPG

Highpoly_right_001.JPG

Replies

• theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    Haha tha is just creepy as hell but I like it :P
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I think the components work quite well individually, but it's not quite coalescing as a character. A big part of the problem is that it feels quite unbalanced, with the front-end loader arm being quite a bit longer than the duct arm and the legs feeling to small and weak for the rest of the character without quite have the sense of stylisation that'd let the small legs, big upper body work.

I think if the washing machine part was broader (and therefore maybe some other kind of part), with the arms being a little smaller, it might start to feel a bit more solid as a character.

It's a neat idea, it just needs a little bit of refinement to really come together.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Haha, this is creepy, it reminds of those mutant toys from Toy Story. Also, agreed with Jackablade. And maybe you can make some of the elements a little chunkier and apparent for a better bake (some details are a little small or flat, such as the boxes protruding from the front face, some of the screws, and the cake ridging on the robot's left hand, etc.) But other than that, I'm a fan of the modeling, you got some cool shapes, and I really like how the metal barrel part is all beat up and dented. Keep going :D
  • dproeder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took the suggestions and implemented them. I really like the washing machine, so I just widened it a bit. I shrank the Backhoe arm (right arm) and lifted it to align with the duct arm (left arm). I choose to shorten the lower body to push the stylization and absurdity of this character a bit more. I also beefed up some of the fine detail geometry for better bakes.

Highpoly_front_002.JPG

edit: Now that I see it posted, I don't know what to think about shortening the lower body...
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    It all looks very stuck together right now. I think you need to think about functionality, like.. can this thing even move properly and if so, how? Try and come up with some way of making it look constructed and operational rather than just a bunch of intersecting objects.
  • dproeder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It all looks very stuck together right now. I think you need to think about functionality, like.. can this thing even move properly and if so, how? Try and come up with some way of making it look constructed and operational rather than just a bunch of intersecting objects.

I knew someone would critique it like this at some point. I'm not really concerned about this aspect. The only area in which I feel I should go in and do this is at the Backhoe "armpit". The vent arm just bends. The legs just extend up into the barrel and waddle back and forth. To walk the robot would use his backhoe arm to help support itself, especially when the pogo stick has most of the weight.

The purpose of the model is to be a prop in a mechanic room. Its static. Its not really going to be animated. Heck maybe the robot was never meant to be functional, and is a reject left around by its creator.
  • dproeder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update. After really studying Normal Baking Hard Surface techniques, I've finally gotten something I can be happy with.

This is also the first time I have ever rendered from UDK.

UDK_render_001.jpg

UDK_render_002.jpg

UDK_render_003.jpg

Diffuse Map with AO only:

AO.jpg

Normal Map:

normal.jpg