Home Unreal Engine

[UDK] Issue - Lighting Mesh - Gridded Shadows

Rendered7Useless
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Rendered7Useless polycounter lvl 8
I'm working on a project for school and I've run into a problem in which I am getting these amazing gridline shadows on some of my meshes.

The scene is baked with production lighting, and the lightmap resolution has been changed (32, 64, ...512). I've also tried restarting and reopening, and a different computer.

Some Screens:

Grid%20lines.jpg

Grid%20lines2.jpg

Grid%20lines3.jpg

Thank You In advance

Replies

• JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    AFAIK the dominant lighting is done using a depth buffer in realtime using the shadow test to blend between two lightmaps (shadow/direct sunlight) and like any depth buffered shadow you get banding when a surface is near-perpendicular to the light's direction.

Tilt the light so it's at a less extreme angle or swap it out for a non-dominant.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Or set the terrain (or is it a mesh?) to not cast any dynamic shadows.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Yup this is the issue even present in UDK demo map, umm forgot the name, but you know the new demo video that came with UDK where it shows plants and ruined ancient buildings, ah its called UDK day and night map i think :D.

Seems like UDK dont like perpendicular lights on meshes, you will always get this issue. I have tried it with both terran and landscape.

However try not to use extreme angles (which i hate btw cause i wanted to get long stretched dynamic shadows on landscape to get scary mood) neways. Use Dominant direction light and play with its maximum radius value + min and max values too, as it helped to minimise the effect but not got rid of this problem entirely even at 30 to 40 degree angle.
  • Rendered7Useless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rendered7Useless polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you guys. This was the issue. Its unfortunate but I can still work with it now that I know!