Home Unreal Engine

Diffuse won't work

I am trying to make a custom material just to teach myself how to make my own, just playing around to learn it. I made a bmp 512 X 512 of a brick as a texture and every time i link it to diffuse in the material editor it does nothing. Here's the picture of it. Any texture i add to the diffuse does nothing. The viewport will not update like the tutorial video shows and i add the material to a surface and only get the checkered default no material. Can anyone help me?

Replies

• Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    HAve you tried saving the texture as a TGA?
  • ThePropagation
    The textures that come with udk don't work when I make a new material do I'm not sure it being a targa is the issue. I'll try it though
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    The import format doesn't matter much. Most textures get DXT/S3TC (same thing) compressed. It goes like this:

Input format -> convert to raw bitmap (pretty much TGA) -> generate mipmaps -> compress to DXT -> store in package

I've been asked before if there's any way to enable/disable PSD layers, but the flattening stage removes all that data.

If it happens with other UDK textures, it's pretty clearly a problem with the materials side. What graphics card have you got and have you got updated drivers? I know newer UDK versions precache the shader binaries, and older drivers/cards may not support this which is why existing materials with caches would work but new ones without would not.
  • imbueFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imbueFX polycounter lvl 5
    My guess is that you're stuck in mobile preview mode.

Go in to the main UDK editor window, on the top toolbar look near the far right for a dark tan box and click that.

See if that works.
  • ThePropagation
    That was it! I was in mobile preview. Thanks so much!