Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first female human head sculpture (WIP)

I have been using mudbox for a few months, but last night I got my hands on Sculptris (while looking for a trial of Zbrush). It seems like a good free alternative to Zbrush while I am saving up the funds to purchase that program. Anywho I have sculpted a number of characters before, but this is my first attempt at a realistic female human bust.

I need LOTS of feedback, so please comment. I'll post updates as I progress through this process.

woman.jpg

woman2.jpg

Replies

• NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Looks good but to me it seems it's too much mirrored and like if is missing a central portion of the face ....
  • johnicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you saying that maybe the eyes or the rest of the facial features are too close together?
  • GabeLamas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GabeLamas polycounter lvl 8
    The things that I can see off the bat is that the lateral side of the brow is a little too high up for the entire eye areas, and the nose seems a little too long. Try raising the nose up so that it meets the lower end of the ear if you decide to place them! Raise the lips a little bit upward as well to where it meets the bottom of the nose and chin at the halfway point. Other than that that major forms of the silhouette seem just about right.
  • Anthricus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthricus polycounter lvl 5
    the neck needs to be slightly thicker it kinda looks a bit bobblehead esque at the moment but the detail on the face interior is coming on well :D
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Johnicus!
    I'd say you're off to a decent start, but the best thing to do right now is focus on your references and anatomy. Pay attention to the big shapes, blur your eyes and compare your sculpt to any photo of a real woman.

Get that ear in there and then move around all your big shapes until the proportions look better, then you can start refining features. No matter how detailed features are, they'll never look correct if they are the wrong size or in the wrong place.
  • johnicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the excellent critiques!! I think what I should do is probably start over? I'm in the midst of moving so things have been a little hectic but I will try to get another sculpt up soon!