Home Technical Talk

ZBrush - Moving along the surface

Hello,

Now I know that when using the "Move Brush" if you press hold ALT while sculpting, the surface is deformed perpendicularly (i.e. along the normal to the surface). I wanted to know if it was possible to use the Move Brush to deform along the surface. Like moving the surface of a sphere without it producing any bumps or lumps.

I read somewhere that this can be done if you hold down the SHIFT key while using the Move Brush but doing so activates the Smooth Brush.

Replies

• NAIMA
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    You mean like moving a mesh or an alpha ? have u tried the Drag button?
  • emmaringo
    NAIMA wrote: »
    You mean like moving a mesh or an alpha ? have u tried the Drag button?

What I want to do is something like this: Imagine that I have a model of the earth which is basically a sphere with the continents sculpted on top of it. Now I want to reposition the continents and resize them using the move brush but without pulling them out or pushing them in i.e moving them around along the surface of the sphere.
  • Z3NZY
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3NZY polycounter lvl 7
    I'm still ultra new to zbrush but i saw something that sounds similar to what you're talking about in a tutorial vid.

There's meant to be a brush called nudge or something. I haven't tried it out and i'm not on my PC right now :(

It's meant to move the polys along the surface of an object without changing the shape much.
    Hope that helps.
  • emmaringo
    Z3NZY wrote: »
    I'm still ultra new to zbrush but i saw something that sounds similar to what you're talking about in a tutorial vid.

There's meant to be a brush called nudge or something. I haven't tried it out and i'm not on my PC right now :(

It's meant to move the polys along the surface of an object without changing the shape much.
    Hope that helps.

You are right in that the Nudge Brush does move the polygons along the surface without deforming it. However it does so within the shape of the object, i.e. does not move the edges of the object, which is what I wanted to be able to do.