Home Unreal Engine

Unreal Engine 4

Replies

• Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks Fwap and Scizz

The way lodding worked before, and I guess still does, is that the various lod steps share the same lightmap uvs, and the same lightmap. Thus when they switch lod model they still use the same lightmap texture and coordinates and it still looks as it should.
  • Teessider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teessider polycounter lvl 11
    wow Hourences you are seriously awesome for sharing your project! :D

Will be definitely looking at that :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Adding camera controls and movement that respects the camera orientation to the rolling ball template has been harder than I thought. Here's a shameless crosspost cuz I hope I built up enough karma over the years answering noob 3d questions to get some help with my noob UE4 question.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Hm, hope this is not the wrong place to ask, but, i'm having a little trouble understanding how does one control contrast in lighting? I mean, like, ok i can make light brigther, sure, but i can't find a way tweak shadow colors or similar setting that would allow me to make stronger contrast. Am i missing something?
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Zocky wrote: »
    Hm, hope this is not the wrong place to ask, but, i'm having a little trouble understanding how does one control contrast in lighting? I mean, like, ok i can make light brigther, sure, but i can't find a way tweak shadow colors or similar setting that would allow me to make stronger contrast. Am i missing something?

There is no shadow color. Think of creating contrast in lighting how you would on a movie set or in real life. So if you have a light, it'll be highest contrast if there is no other light in the scene right? Then the shadows would be black. So if you have additional lighting in your scene you need to either dim it, or make your light brighter and adjust your contrast.

On top of that you can adjust the post processing by creating a postprocess volume and adjusting contrast, crushed blacks and crushed highlights.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    ok, tnx for fast reply man!
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    Took some time this morning to test the foliage indirect lighting quality issues I've been having. I used default settings for as much as possible to eliminate variables, and tested against UDK, just to make sure my expectations weren't out of line.

UE4_IndirectLightingComp.jpg

I'm already to capture final video and screenshots of my environment, but the rocks and grass I placed with the foliage tool are either too dark, or glowing, depending if they're getting hit with direct or indirect light.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger wrote: »
    I'm already to capture final video and screenshots of my environment, but the rocks and grass I placed with the foliage tool are either too dark, or glowing, depending if they're getting hit with direct or indirect light.

Looks like a sampling issue. In the hand placed example, you seem to be instancing objects on terrain mesh verts. In the scattered example, anything not on a terrain vert seems to have inaccuracies.

As a test, try tessalating the terrain mesh to a crazy high density and see if it affects the scattered example. I ran into a similar problem with Max's radiosity years ago and fixed it by placing a super dense plane under each object.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Does the Unreal Engine 4 come with more motion blur settings? I see there's the default one you can play with in the "Postprocessvolume actor" but say you want to make a video game more realistic by having "per object motion blur".

The documents doesn't seem to mention it.
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/PostProcessEffects/index.html

ib2pnydlqPX9Ho.png
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN wrote: »
    Does the Unreal Engine 4 come with more motion blur settings? I know there's the default one you can play with in the "Postprocessvolume actor" but say you want to make a video game more realistic by having "per object motion blur".

Moveable objects should have per-object motion blur, and skeletal meshes have per-bone motionblur.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    RyanB wrote: »
    Looks like a sampling issue. In the hand placed example, you seem to be instancing objects on terrain mesh verts. In the scattered example, anything not on a terrain vert seems to have inaccuracies.

As a test, try tessalating the terrain mesh to a crazy high density and see if it affects the scattered example. I ran into a similar problem with Max's radiosity years ago and fixed it by placing a super dense plane under each object.

Good thought, but there shouldn't be any vertex sampling going on. There's no correlation between vertex positions and lighting artifacts.

Looks like they were able to repro my issue on UE4 Answer Hub and a bug report was logged. If anybody else is running into this, fingers crossed we get a fix soon :)
  • Logithx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Logithx polycounter lvl 5
    Does anyone know why all these 'UE4EDITOR.exe' processes remain in the memory? I was shocked when I opened the task manager and saw the system memory currently being used:

mvDKgO6.jpg
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    not specific art related, but the EULA has been updated with new royalty info for lower revenue games. The 5% only applies after $3000 earned per quarter, and also only applies to the earnings over $3000 (game makes $4000, royalties owed 5% of $1000).

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/15056/need-some-clarification-on-the-5-royalty.html
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Hey guys, I have another total noob question here. I was trying to attach a knife to a socket on my character through a level blueprint but I'm having a bit of trouble, here's my current setup.

The socket I set up needs to be transformed into my character's hand, as a result, I need to have "Attach Location Type" set to "Keep Relative Offset" (at least I think this is the case.)

The problem is, if I have that setting enabled, my knife just disappears and is nowhere to be found within the scene, even though it is set to being visible and is clearly visible in the editor mode.

If I change the setting to "Snap to Target", then it just stays at the default new socket location which in my case, is below my character's stomach.

I could be wrong, but it seems like my socket isn't being detected properly since the knife ends up in the same position regardless of which socket I enter. I did a bit of googling and found several people who have used the same setup flawlessly but I can't figure out what I'm doing incorrectly.

Thanks guys!
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    If I uninstall the engine, when I re-install and open up my project that I made a copy of, will it load everything alright? I kind of ran into a bug that I think requires a re-install.

EDIT: FIXED. Sorry, was having a mini-heart attack. I reset as many settings to default as I could and one of them worked lol
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    just posted in your thread, shouldn't need to reinstall. open highresshot tool, check and uncheck the custom depth checkbox (should be off). The green appears when that checkbox is checked, you can set a custom depth flag on actors (search depth in properties), so that whenyou take a screenshot it saves a screenshot with alpha of that asset. This bug looks like it came back from the dead, we had this issue a while ago but was fixed.

NegevPro: check your get socket node in Blueprint, make sure the dropdown on it is set to Object, see if that works? Is there a reason you're doing it in Level Blueprint instead of a blueprint actor of your skeletal or static mesh?
  • spartanx118
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spartanx118 polycounter lvl 10
    Having lots of with this, map lighting is getting bit messy though.

i_saw_the_sky_unreal_engine_4__realtime_version__by_spartanx118-d7gnp5f.jpg
  • spartanx118
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Question, how can I get the masked blending mode to have smooth edges? it's always rough and hard where the black blends into white, my opacity map is fine and I've never had this problem in udk. translucent blending works just fine but masked is always rough or hard around the edges. this is especially bad for character hair.

Edit: tried using opacity mask clip, no difference.

mask_blend_by_spartanx118-d7gnt91.jpg

translucent_blend_by_spartanx118-d7gnta2.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    uhm alphamasked is always 1 bit, either opaque or transparent, its always been like that and there is no way around that in any engine, how is that different in udk? :o you have masked or blended there as well and to me this is what i would expect.
  • spartanx118
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    uhm alphamasked is always 1 bit, either opaque or transparent, its always been like that and there is no way around that in any engine, how is that different in udk? :o you have masked or blended there as well and to me this is what i would expect.

:poly141:err not sure, but it looked better in udk as far as I remember
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw this today ... Octane Renderer vs UE4.

http://vimeo.com/93246664#at=0

UE4 scene needs color correction but otherwise ... really nice!
  • littleclaude
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    I'm having this weird issue with my lighting. I'm hoping I can get some insight on what is going on.

In this picture, I have the directional light angle downward onto the table and floor. It' gives me a well lit room after the bake. I also have some low intensity spotlights in the windows, like in the Realistic Rendering example.

yBeMzQE.jpg

When I angle my directional light upward and onto the couch and back wall, my room turns into this..

dIASIlA.jpg

Why is there such a drastic change in lighting in my second screenshot? It seems like I lose all of my bounce lighting from my directional light.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Can you post your setup (i.e exit gamemode)?

I'm reading through the documentation and it says the bounced lights are based on static spot lights. Have you moved them as well?

Then bake it.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    does your geometry have backfaces? if not try enabling two sided shadowing.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Here's a screenshot of my setup. I took it from a different angle in order to show all the lighting setup. Hope it helps, but let me know if you need more info on my setup. I don't think I changed anything too weird. In World Settings, I have Number Of Indirect Bounces set to 7. I also have my exposure in the Lit menu from the viewport set to Fixed At Log 4. I do not move my spotlights, only the directional light.

3W6szJE.jpg

Here's what I found out so far today. If I turn off all my spotlights, then it will bake out correctly like this:

fTkMf3L.jpg

Which is not bad, but I feel like it's missing a lot of ambient lighting now that my spot lights are turned off. Especially on the dining table side of the room. And if I turn just one of my spot lights on, it will start to become like my problem picture that I posted.

@JordanW: Yes my geometry has backfaces. I even made an "outer shell" geometry that's a box with holes cut in to match where my windows are.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    This has been bothering me for a while. Why wasn't UE4 named 4Real Engine?
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the current name because any time I load up UE4 I can say "Time to make something UNREAL!"

Too bad everything I make looks like shit :(
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Hermit wrote: »
    If it looks better than real life, they should keep Unreal.

I heard rumors, but I don't believe there any life beyond firewall.
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk, is the HDR/eye adaptation blowing out?
  • Bridget
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hermit wrote: »
    If it looks better than real life, they should keep Unreal.

it would be really stupid to change the name. Unreal is a brand with so much value imbued.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Apparently sarcasm doesn't come across on the internet well. It would be an awful name.
  • /anty/
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    /anty/ polycounter lvl 7
    alexk wrote: »
    Here's a screenshot of my setup. I took it from a different angle in order to show all the lighting setup. Hope it helps, but let me know if you need more info on my setup. I don't think I changed anything too weird. In World Settings, I have Number Of Indirect Bounces set to 7. I also have my exposure in the Lit menu from the viewport set to Fixed At Log 4. I do not move my spotlights, only the directional light.

3W6szJE.jpg

Here's what I found out so far today. If I turn off all my spotlights, then it will bake out correctly like this:

fTkMf3L.jpg

Which is not bad, but I feel like it's missing a lot of ambient lighting now that my spot lights are turned off. Especially on the dining table side of the room. And if I turn just one of my spot lights on, it will start to become like my problem picture that I posted.

@JordanW: Yes my geometry has backfaces. I even made an "outer shell" geometry that's a box with holes cut in to match where my windows are.

I would try to enable disable things, one by one. First try to do ambient only, try skylight, with HDR and from the scene ( not sure how it will define what is the scene to capture in case of interior), sky+spots, then if you happy with ambient try to add dynamic directional light, change it to stationary light, maybe is simpler to use additional bounce light instead baking gi from directional light, additionally try to use static only lights, check lights radius, etc. There easily can be some catch with overlapping lights.
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stupid question but what is a roadmap? Upcoming features?
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    Yes, pretty much. Sorry for not clarifying it. I couldn't find an entry for doing something about foliage/lighting issues.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Really cool to see the roadmap for UE4, this is a big help for indie developers who must decide when to stop and restart their subscription. I'm a little disappointed that Sequencer appears to be a fair way off, but there's some cool stuff in the pipe!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Plus you can vote on what you want most! Help direct us towards the stuff you want first...
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Of all those things, the UMG stuff under Tools sounds the most interesting to me. It's cool to see they're actually working on it right now.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Now we know what that mysterious, Niagara thingy is.

I was actually thinking about posting mock up for node based particle editor, now that I see it is in backlog, I probably should think more on idea.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    We always knew Niagara was the new particle editor?

(P.s. use your noggin'! Cascade -> Niagara ;) )
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Ace, WarrenM! I've voted for my fav elements. :)
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really glad to see how involved Epic is with the community, it really seems like the best way to go about improving an already kick ass engine.

I'm still a total noob with UE4 but I voted for a few things!
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    This may sound crazy, but I find it easier to grasp UE4 materials is by drawing them out by hand first.

For example, I did a quick practice of a ak47 drum barrel.
    iqGT3Z2ddnDiR.png
    i8KPbN8VlJdDr.png
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    JordanN wrote: »
    This may sound crazy, but I find it easier to grasp UE4 materials is by drawing them out by hand first.

For example, I did a quick practice of a ak47 drum barrel.

that is a little crazy, but i like it :) whatever works for ya!

i used to write html, css, and js out on notebook paper. While cleaning a few weeks ago i found old binders where i wrote out entire websites lol.

we're all pretty much crazy :)
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    So what you guys are saying is Unreal needs a Wacom hand-drawn node editor that will automatically create the right nodes from handwriting recognition.

:poly121::thumbup:
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    I want to wear an oculus rift and use my tablet to draw my shader nodes out in a VR environment.

OculusRecall.jpg
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Shader programming in VR environment lol. Sounds fun
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Well, once the oculus rift gets high enough in resolution it will probably replace monitors. Right now I got 3 monitors on my desk taking up an inordinate amount of space for a meh DPI. If I could be completely surrounded by virtual monitors all in the form of something the size of a cellphone I strap on my face, I would do it. (4k for starters)

Slap 2 cameras on the back of the oculus to allow me to see through the googles in order to orient myself see my surroundings and its a deal. Maybe a google glass form factor eventually.