Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Funkbro

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
funkbro polycounter lvl 8
Howdy y'all, first year university student here in Swansea Met.
Thought i'd post up some work that i've done/working on.
C&C's welcome.

Life Drawings (Finishing these this week)
LifeDrawing1.jpg
IMG_8322.JPG
LifeDrawing2.jpg

3D: (Finished and handed in)

FinalRender.jpg
bin.bmp

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Hey man! Yay, nice to see someone start a sb with drawings. Nice, functional work, with, i'm sure you know, a long way to go. Some crits:

Proportions, ack! This comes with time, but be aware that those are wrong, and work on correcting them! Simplify your shapes mentally until you have the right sizes worked out, then start chiseling out real forms.

Think about the weight in your figures! The most important part of any pose is how the figure is interacting with the ground. Get that motion -- the curve of the spine, the placement of the feet, whatever's going on between their head and the eath -- locked down first.

Solid start with anatomy, try to really think about how shapes relate to EACHOTHER though, not just how they exist in a vacuum. How was figure #3's shoulder terminating into his arm? How were figure #2's ribs and abs twisted and supporting his weight? This is important stuff to capture, better to simplify it than get it wrong.

I like the sense of personality you captured in all these pieces, even the prop. Now just think about pushing this stuff, jam believability and coherency into it in every place you can find.
  • funkbro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the crits Joseph, I understand what you've said and it's definitely helped.
    I havent touched life drawing 2 or 3 since posting. But here's an update on the first:
    Lifedrawingupdate.jpg
    It's a shame because next year i've been told that we won't be getting life drawing classes :/, gonna have to go out of my way to find some now. Shouldn't be too hard being at an artsy uni...
  • Naugat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naugat polycounter lvl 12
    If there's not the life drawing at Swansea, get some classmates together and hire up a model yourselves, split the cost.

Or if there's a lack of models, pay one of your classmates to do costume or clothed poses. We did this at Bournemouth, my mates a Muslim so he couldn't do the nudes.

It's not ideal and it can be hard to find the time, but it's worth the effort :)
  • Helreaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helreaper polycounter lvl 5
    Looking a lot better now especially with tone etc.. A lot of improvement can always be made especially when it comes to skin. But yes, looks like you've got your light source in mind etc.. Most improvement will come with time and sticking at it especially with anatomy and proportions.
  • funkbro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, pretty slick idea Naugat, definitely going to sort something out. I have to put together 12 full colour finished life drawing pieces by Friday. Been looking back at some of the monstrosities from when I started drawing back in September. There's a hell of a lot of improvement.
    Here's one of the said 'monstrosities' that i've just put through PS:
    LifeDrawing3.jpg
    I need to have a couple of warm and cold coloured pieces amongst the 12, hence the wacky colouring.
    Thanks for the input Helreaper, yeah I can see plenty I could do to improve the last one, but with the deadline I currently have i'm just trying to get them to an 'ok' standard. I'll definitely go back to them afterwards, and carry on studying the human form.
  • funkbro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update:

Lifedrawing2Update.jpg

Looked into what you mentioned about the shoulder, hopefully it looks better now.
    Not really liking this one overall, especially the face. Maybe I need some time away from it for abit so I can see it differently and know what to change.
    Not spent much time on the legs at all, gonna carry on plowing through all 12 of the life drawings, then go back to them if I have the time before the hand in.
  • Naugat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naugat polycounter lvl 12
    Hey man, when you're less pushed I'd recommend you root out [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Drawing-Right-Side-Brain/dp/0007116454"]Drawing On The Right Side of The Brain[/ame] from the library. It's full of exercises that get you to look at the world the academic way.

Look, measure, drop plumb-lines, take your time and get it right. It'll help.

After that, get all the [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Constructive-Anatomy-Dover-Books-Instruction/dp/0486211045/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337435950&sr=1-2"]Bridgman[/ame] books and go crazy :)
  • funkbro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Naugat, I checked out your sketchbook thread and there's some pretty stellar stuff in there. I'll check out 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain' as soon as I can get my mits on it, a friend of mine has a Bridgman book that somebody recommended him on here too, so i'll see if I can take a look at that and get myself one too..
    I'm currently using Sarah Simblet's Anatomy book as reference.
    Finding it hard to work with these drawings, most of them date back months and are done to a pretty low standard, should of started this thread months ago while I was still having weekly classes, that way I could of taken the feedback with me to classes...
    Anyway, here's another one, in dire need of doing a leg study...
    LifeDrawing4.jpg
  • funkbro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yet another, this time it's a girl...

LifeDrawing5.jpg
  • funkbro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some roughs for a character i'm doing:

Faces:
    HeadThumbs.jpg
    Development%20sketches.jpg
  • funkbro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • funkbro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • funkbro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • funkbro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anatomy18thjuly.jpg
    Random drawings:
    Random1.jpgRandom2.jpgRandom3.jpgRandom4.jpgRandom5.jpgRandom6.jpg
  • funkbro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zombieguy.JPG
    Working on a Zombie, will get everything roughed out then go back in for detailing.
    I like the anatomy of the face right now, feel there's too much going on with it though, probably going to rework the details.