Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio (in the works)

Modeled a fire hydrant for a team project in Game Engine...had to keep it low poly so didn't go too crazy...

firehydrant03.jpg

firehydrant02.jpg

This was the ref

Picture_PLD-EL027.jpg

Replies

• joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    My personal opinion:

The texture is to noisy, it's just dirt/rust/leaking spots everywhere, the eye has no place at all to rest.
    And I'm having a hard time actaully making out what material it was originally made from.
    That "oh that's rusty metal" feeling is just missing for me.

And altough your ref may be like that, I'd personally put some sort of color variation in there, now it's just to bland, it looks like 1 solid color with dirt applied to the whole thing.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Rendering your models on a black bg is generally bad practice, as it makes the model blend with the bg, making it harder to see. You should really include a shot with wires and the texture flats for us to really critique your work!

Overall I'd say the texture is too noisy and the shadows/painted lighting/AO map is much too strong, you should let the normal and specular maps do most of the heavy lifting. Using pure black is generally bad in your models, because it doesn't allow the engine to light the model properly. You're also missing some of the details from the reference model, i.e. the chains and the cast detailing on the base.

Keep it up =]
  • swiff01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First modular building for the portfolio (in progress)...stay tuned!

butcher02.jpg
  • swiff01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modeled Heathkit H88, low poly with spec, for team project environment

cpu00.jpg

cpu01.jpg

cpu02.jpg

Reference photo

h89.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Make sure that when you unwrap it, you have the keyboard and such in their respective places, so you can make an LOD by just deleting the keys and the white box and the.
  • itsmadman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like this lil computer. I think that you depend on source textures a lil too much some times when details get really small the best thing to do is paint those tiny detail in your self cuss when you have a big rez source image and you cram all that detail into small objects like your key board for example. If your model is simple your texture has to be simple. P.S. there's nothing wrong with sources texture you just cant all ways use them
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    you should be posting the wireframe and the UV's for this if you want some overall feedback. Just a suggestion.