Home Unreal Engine

Make particles follow emitter

Cronnix
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Cronnix polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys, stumbled on a problem here I fail to find solution to. I have a particle emitter for a kind of "energy orbs", which spawns one orb that is supposed to follow the player (I thought we achieve this by attaching the emitter to the player).

Problem is that once spawned, the particle ignores the movements of the emitter, how do I go around solving that? If I enable "Use local space", it also detects rotation of the emitter, which I want to avoid, as it looks unnatural that orbs rotate together with player, they should just float around him.

Any suggestions, please?

Replies

• imbueFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imbueFX polycounter lvl 5
    Try bIgnoreBaseRotation when attaching to an actor and see how that works.

Alternatively the way we do it at our studio is our character rigs have a reference joint that never rotates, only follows positional data. You could then offset the particle system attachment accordingly.
  • Cronnix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cronnix polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for reply, imbueFX. We could not get that to work, sadly, but managed to get "MyEffect.SetAbsolute(false, true);" to work instead, when attaching the particle. I was hoping there would be some cascade option for it tho, as Id like to be able to have same functionality for particles by default when attaching to kactor through kismet.

Oh well, can't have it all, i guess.. will figure a workaround out :)
  • imbueFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imbueFX polycounter lvl 5
    Glad you got it to work!

Sadly there is no option inside of Cascade for ignoring rotations when attaching. Activating local space on an emitter will follow both. It'd be nice if you can use each exclusively from one another, but we'll see if Epic ever implements something like that.