Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modern GasMasked German Soldier

Hey guys, so i made my first character in ZBrush. I'm trying not to get too crazy with it. I just need something to place into my scene to add more of a story to it. I'm planning to use the character in different poses...(Getting shot in the head and falling, aiming in on the sights, the dead, the wounded) I'm still thinking about giving him a backpack, but again, i'm not trying to go above and beyond what I need for the scene. I'm very tempted to add more to him though. Please let me know what you think. Be as critical as you may...just make sure its constructive :)

forumCharacter_Screenshot.jpga%3ECharacter_Screenshot.jpg
a%3E

Replies

• Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    I'd say go for a backpack. Just keep it a simple design and it'll add to the guy's silhouette. Bonus!

As for your proportations you might want to have another stab at them. The chest area is far too wide as well as the thickness in the arms. Don't be afraid to be more adventureous with your creases in the arms as well. Other than that keep moving with it and you'll have a nice character to sell that scene!
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    I think you need to go back down a few subdivision levels and block out your forms better, everything is a bit lump and undefined atm. Your cloth could use some more love, check out some reference or tutorials on cloth sculpting tips.
  • ariofighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ariofighter polycounter lvl 13
    I would recommend working from more smaller meshes instead of one large mesh. It will require a bit more work in your modeling program but I think it will help avoid the pillowey feel that's going on now. It helped me out a lot when I tried modeling characters.

So things like,

Jacket
    Undershirt
    Pants
    Belt
    Belt Buckle
    Boots
    Gloves
    Gas Mask
    Head
    etc

Would all be individual sub tools inside of zbrush.

Its a fun idea though, take a look at the Killzone 3 models for some good ref.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    I definitely agree with ariofighter about the sub tools. I actually think the head is too small; imagine him without the helmet.
  • michaelmilette
    I agree with everything that has been said here. the head does look small especially when your characters mask is removed. i also agree that you should use sub tools it wont take a very long time to model some simple vest ,buttons and a belt and you model will look pretty good with objects that are popping off of the model it will give it more dimension.

one thing also that I noticed was that the way that your fabric is draping looks wrong you have wrinkles and draping fabric which are staring from random places it seems IMO. definitely look up some reference with a quick Google search and do a quick one over.

i like the back pack idea I Looked around and found this check it out :)
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-HuMd3N1LDX4/TvxwVyKyE5I/AAAAAAAANN8/NQ6S88BdhrM/s1600/WWI+Museum+-+Gas+Masks.jpg