Home General Discussion

Trying Blender

Replies

• Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    That seems cool. Does it work with PSDs and layers? I mean, can you tell it that the new paint goes into a specific layer in a PSD (or layers in general)?
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    I don't think it works with psd's, actually you need and addon just to display multiple layers.Once you do have that you can paint / project on spec, diffuse etc and it saves the layers which i guess you have to import them manually in your psd.
    http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/3D_interaction/Texture_paint_layers
  • xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    Painting in Blender is a bit of a mixed bag - it's projection and cloning is pretty good. However, it doesn't have image layers (like Photoshop), can't flood fill, things like that. Most of that is being worked on (GSoC starts up here shortly and a guy has several little things he plans on fixing).

Here are some texture paint videos. The last one in particular demos a pretty powerful add-on.

Texture Painting Tutorial
    Quick Projection Tutorial
    BProjection Add-On
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I use the non-projection mode a lot for painting along seams, or painting edge hilights, but the types of textures I paint are more oldschool handpainted stuff, so I can't speak to how useful the texture painting is for more high end stuff. Works for me though!
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    once every few versions i will give blender a try to see how its developing. and they FINALLY after years and year have got the new polygon system b-mesh which supports n-gons and tools that can work with n-gons. and i have to say that for poly modeling it seems 'useable' now. that is, if you can get all the hot keys setup and you have a normal box modeling workflow. so way to go blender team. i have not done any benchmarks to see how the tools hold up at high poly counts. but it did not crash doing a simple model so it seems somewhat stable.

they REALLY need to make the hot key editor better so you can search by function name or by hotkeys. its almost impossible to figure how to remap things. even simple things like mapping the manipulator for T/R/S is edit mode is impossible to figure out in a reasonable amount of time.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    hotkeys, right click on button > add shortcut.

although, it might be nice if it told you what was on that key already!
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie wrote: »
    hotkeys, right click on button > add shortcut.

although, it might be nice if it told you what was on that key already!

that does not work except for a subset of the tool functions.

for instance if you want to have a hotkey for each T/R/S manipulator from the ctrl+spacebar manip mode you can not use rightclick to make keys. its really nasty once you have to dig into the hotkey interface system to figure out how to make the hotkeys.

the screenspace T/R/S is not what i need most of the time and those functions are built into the manip system. i assume most modelers would be very turned off to blender when they cant even figure out how to get the /T/R/S manip hotkeys setup.

also even if you do manage to get the hotkey setup if there is already a hotkey that uses that hey it will over ride your custom key. so then you have dig through the input menu to find the key and disable it. :poly142:
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Here's a list of stuff I've been writing down about my Blender experiences:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aFxDruEX0zZnWHH5YjEFwJe4g1XqR4YByt_8_HRonTI/edit?pli=1

It started as just unstructured thoughts, but has turned into a more comprehensive document over time.

This is good. Blender devs need to look over this.

Especially the bit about the work plane. WORK PLANE
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they have added

cut tool / slice
    bevel
    connect
    bridge
    dissolve
    edge collapse.

along with edge loop / ring etc, that all work with n-gons.

feels quite nice actually. i even figured out how to get rid of that god damn pivot... i hate that damn thing...
  • xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    Slum wrote: »
    This is good. Blender devs need to look over this.

Especially the bit about the work plane. WORK PLANE

I think the equivalent to Work Planes in Blender is custom orientations, though I'm just guessing from watching the example Modo video (never actually used it). They're kind of tucked away at the bottom of the (n) properties panel. You basically select some faces and click the + sign.

transformorientation.png
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    3ds max style vertex/edge/face select mode

1. Go to User Preferences > Input > 3D View > Mesh
    2. Create 3 new hotkeys
    3. Fill them out like this:
    blenderSelect.jpg

I picked 1,2,3 since you can't access layers in Edit mode anyway, but feel free to assign them to whichever keys you like.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Snowfly: Good call. I included this in my keymap file a few pages ago. Also in there is the setup for the UV editor as well. It's the same settings, but you have to set them under the image editor category instead of the 3d view.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    those are another one that i would have never figured out without the internet.

i finally found this 12 minute video that shows how to set them up. but come on! 12 minute tutorial to show you how to set up the V/E/F hot keys lol... thats my point it takes a video tutorial to figure it out.

http://cgcookie.com/blender/2010/05/17/custom-hot-keys/

i guess if you put enough time in you will get everything setup. but my guess is that most people will just give up.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Ah cool Slum I must have missed it. I'll have to check it out.

My only gripe with setting up the subobject selection modes this way is Blender is pretty bad at maintaining selections when jumping between different subobject types, and I haven't quite figured out how to set it up so that holding down Shift allows you to select multiple subobject types at once.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    gray wrote: »
    those are another one that i would have never figured out without the internet.

i finally found this 12 minute video that shows how to set them up. but come on! 12 minute tutorial to show you how to set up the V/E/F hot keys lol... thats my point it takes a video tutorial to figure it out.

http://cgcookie.com/blender/2010/05/17/custom-hot-keys/

i guess if you put enough time in you will get everything setup. but my guess is that most people will just give up.

Agreed! This is something that is a major point of contention among the blender community.

A while back I just decided I am forcing myself to learn Blender for all my art at home. I had to reinstall Windows and I just straight up decided to download Blender and force myself to use it. There are plenty of times I have wanted to give up, but I'm not letting myself have that option :)
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys some tips on sliding verts and flattening faces .https://vimeo.com/42544100
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I did a similar setup to snowfly, for a,s,s but also set to to be 'true,true,true' so it can select verts, edges and faces at the same time. That, with the click/drag ability to move things without needing to press anything on the keyboard can give a nice way of doing tweaks.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Messing with this some more today, have a few questions:

-Is there any way to cull or change the shading of backfaces in the viewport?

-Paint/Raycast select, how's it done? Everywhere I look says press "B" twice, but that doesn't do anything.

-Is there a normal "select only" mode? Not a fan of the always on sticky-manipulator, could cause problems ("Oh look! I managed to move a row of edges in a part of the model I wasn't paying attention to without even knowing it, thanks sticky-manipulator!")

-As I understand it, preferences are saved per-scene file. So what if you want to go back into an old scene and load your newest preferences? Can you save preference presets and load them into scenes as wanted?

-Can the 3D cursor be disabled?

-There is no add/subtract selection, only toggle selection via shift or ctrl+shift. Is this right?

---

Also some quick thoughts;

-The bevel tool isn't very good, edge distance can be very inconsistent (but I guess they're working on it?)

-Hate how you can't deselect all components with the mouse. Even Modo lets you do this so long as you're in Select mode.

-The way edge slide works (drag away from mouses initial position when the tool is activated instead of holding lmb/rmb to define the initial starting position before dragging), could be improved. There's also an input if I press the button twice, but that should show up regardless.
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Is there any way to cull or change the shading of backfaces in the viewport?
    jNl3xNmnElwO5.jpg this maybe :)
    -Paint/Raycast select, how's it done? Everywhere I look says press "B" twice, but that doesn't do anything. Press C.
    -Is there a normal "select only" mode? Not a fan of the always on sticky-manipulator, could cause problems ("Oh look! I managed to move a row of edges in a part of the model I wasn't paying attention to without even knowing it, thanks sticky-manipulator!")
    Ctrl + space
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    With box or paint select LMB is add selection, MMB is remove.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt: That works for selection, but visibility wise's it's actually more like an x-ray mode. I'm looking for something that will either shade back faces completely different, or make them invisible. So say I took a cube, flipped the faces, now it's invisible (except maybe for seeing the inside faces that have their normals pointing towards the viewport camera).
    respawnrt wrote: »
    Press C.

lol. Clearly they did that just to mess with people, in a few years it'll probably switch to "D" :p
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something like this ?jYa24wW4biSWD.jpg
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, exactly. How'd you do that?
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol you need to activate textured shading mode (alt+z).:poly142:
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    i used to use blender at the beginning... but then got to know that the industry didnt use it as a standard, so passed to 3dsmax. but up to now i still think that blender has a better uv unwrap system. if only there was a way to blend (no pun intended) blender's unwrap with 3dsmax, man id be the happiest dude ever
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    There's also a button for changing shading modes at the bottom of the 3D view window.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol you need to activate textured shading mode (alt+z).:poly142:

Bah! That screws up front faces by making them go pure white (no texture after all). Oh well.
  • xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    Hit (n) to open the properties panel, and go down to the display section - there should be a checkbox for "textured solid" - click that. Then solid mode should show flipped normals how you want and not get the white faces (a texture will show up if you have one though).

They're redoing the viewport code during GSoC. Hopefully it clears up some of the junk like that.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    i tend to just enable glsl for everything makes it less picky, and assigning textures actually makes sense in that mode.
  • Andreas
  • popo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i love blender.

the new bmesh ngon system makes already better ngons than maya.(in such early development stage its amazing work ) snap works clean and very exactly, selection and "softselection" are so simple that it takes a breath after you come back frommaya and max. unwraping is simple and efective(also steady in the development) the programm itself gets more and more functions you even wasnt aware that such thing were possible already. export and import tools work clean.

the only thing i complaing about are materials. you always need blend file to import or export them.
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes you are right, blender ngons are better than maya's ngons, and softselection is awkard in maya, you need to press b and drag your mouse for radius.Also snap is not that exact in maya and max you really need to work your hand to get it in right place compared to blender.I also love
    that blender triangulates the ngons on export, i don't know why autodesk didn't get this right.
  • popo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes you are right, blender ngons are better than maya's ngons, and softselection is awkard in maya, you need to press b and drag your mouse for radius.Also snap is not that exact in maya and max you really need to work your hand to get it in right place compared to blender.I also love
    that blender triangulates the ngons on export, i don't know why autodesk didn't get this right.

lol well if you look how many doublefaces max or maya produce sometimes its no wounder they never fixed it.

also check out last camera tracking tools they are developing..

for free software its amazing!
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Did you know you can CTRL-LMB to use a lasso select? Although, I think that should be the default function of the LMB rather than a alternate and the cursor should be CTRL-LMB.

Edit: It's an easy fix. Ctrl-Alt-U into preferences and find "3D cursor", expand it and select the Ctrl check box. Then find "lasso select", expand both and uncheck Ctrl. Now LMB performs lasso select and Ctrl-LMB moves the 3D cursor.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    popo wrote: »
    lol well if you look how many doublefaces max or maya produce sometimes its no wounder they never fixed it.

Max never produces double-faces, double-edges, or double-verts as those are all illigeal types of geometry in it. Its one of the great things about working with Max over Maya or Modo (Modo's REALLY bad about this, like on a whole other level).
    softselection is awkard in maya, you need to press b and drag your mouse for radius.

Huh? What's so bad about that?
    I also love that blender triangulates the ngons on export, i don't know why autodesk didn't get this right.

It would be useful as an option, but depending on what you're doing with the mesh afterwords forcing triangulation could also be a bad thing.
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^Duude i was kidding .
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, lol. Sorry, it sounded like something a Blender fan might actually say :p
  • popo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    Max never produces double-faces, double-edges, or double-verts as those are all illigeal types of geometry in it. Its one of the great things about working with Max over Maya or Modo (Modo's REALLY bad about this, like on a whole other level).

Huh? What's so bad about that?

It would be useful as an option, but depending on what you're doing with the mesh afterwords forcing triangulation could also be a bad thing.

you are right Max never dos it. he also great plugin modeler!:poly142:
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anybody ever have the issue in the video editor were the sound strip does not match the scale of the video strip? The sound is playing at the right speed, but it cuts off at about 3/4 through the video; the entire audio strip, not just the audio itself. Anyone got a fix?
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyway to get PSD support back into blender?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Anyway to get PSD support back into blender?

Unfortunately not. PSD support required the QuickTime library and it was decided that it wasn't compatible with GPL. :(
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there's no one making a build with it added in or any plugins to add? I've been looking around but no luck :(
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Unfortunately not. PSD support required the QuickTime library and it was decided that it wasn't compatible with GPL. :(

Still makes me cry myself to sleep every night :(:(

(I haven't updated from the last version capable of loading those)
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah answering my own question, I found some on graphicall. The searchbox there isn't helping but google brought up a few. http://graphicall.org/windows/gsoc?keywords=freestyle Hopefully there will be a stable build for the next official update.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a better add-on for icosphere creation? Max has me spoiled, I use geospheres in all my low poly work, but find the icosphere creation options in Blender severely lacking.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Andreas wrote: »
    Is there a better add-on for icosphere creation? Max has me spoiled, I use geospheres in all my low poly work, but find the icosphere creation options in Blender severely lacking.

I am a bit confused as to what you mean by options lacking. Are you just trying to create an icosphere and or what kind options do you need to make the most out of one? I have never heard of anyone really using them so I am kind of curious what makes them important and why they would need more options.

When I start off sculpting, I usually take a cube and sub divide it so it makes a perfect quad based sphere. Is that in the same ball park as icospheres and why you would need them?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Dataday wrote: »
    I am a bit confused as to what you mean by options lacking. Are you just trying to create an icosphere and or what kind options do you need to make the most out of one? I have never heard of anyone really using them so I am kind of curious what makes them important and why they would need more options.

When I start off sculpting, I usually take a cube and sub divide it so it makes a perfect quad based sphere. Is that in the same ball park as icospheres and why you would need them?

The Polysphere script I made a while back has been in Blender since 2.6, so you don't need to do that any more :)

Add Mesh> Extra Objects> Basic Objects> PolySphere.

If you don't want to dig for it, you can just download the script and add it in the normal way. http://projects.blender.org/tracker/download.php/153/467/26250/19583/add_mesh_polysphere.py
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    ah answering my own question, I found some on graphicall. The searchbox there isn't helping but google brought up a few. http://graphicall.org/windows/gsoc?keywords=freestyle Hopefully there will be a stable build for the next official update.

Thanks! That made my day!
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know if that build is any good sorry :( I get confused with all of them and stick to the official builds.

I just found it by searching on google something like

http://graphicall.org: WITH_BF_QUICKTIME = True

Please share if you find something better!!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday wrote: »

In max, you can select from about 3 kinds of ico/geospheres; they smooth out very differently. They use different maths to add more triangles and get smoother. In blender we are stuck with the one option, and its not necessarily the most low-poly option.

Subdividing a cube enough times so that it resembles a sphere is far too high-poly. That's fine if you are going to sculpt it, but I'm talking about low poly work.