Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] victormorales. Cryengine_reel

emoral
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
emoral polycounter lvl 7
Hello
I am new to these forums, in fact this is my first post. :) Just wanted to share an edit of my work made with Cryengine. I usually use this engine to make real-time visuals for live performances. i am looking for work, I am a cinematic designer and I can do modeling and texturing as well. As you can see my work is unconventional, leaning towards the surreal/psychedelic. Any input will be appreciated!

[vv]38615442[/vv]

Replies

• easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    Most of your work looks like glitches and accidents rather than planned out projects. Not sure where any of this could be used. What live performances have you worked in? Was it using this material?
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wtf did i watch? I really cant tell if this is just horrible or intentional...

EDIT: Didnt mean to sound rude. Just...very random stuff u got there.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    wow very interesting abstract stuff. Was this all straight from CE3 or is there any post production?
  • emoral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    emoral polycounter lvl 7
    easterislandnick it is intentionally glitchy. I actually try to exploit errors and problems within the software to find new images. Yes it has been used on shows, all of it.
    @coots7 There is very minimal post-production, maybe on a couple of shots, 99 percent comes out of cryengine.
    Thanks for the input!
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    I'm so confused right now, I can't make much sense of anything going on in your "reel".

Are you trying to find a job with it?
  • FlynT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FlynT polycounter lvl 8
    Maybe you could team up with Gary Wilson.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li7WxOjuKHo"]Gary Wilson - Music For Drums (1994) - YouTube[/ame]
  • Tokusei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokusei polycounter lvl 10
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I love it! We need more experimental game art. Not everything has to be realistic T&A to be enjoyable.

Thanks for sharing. Can you share any of your design intentions or planning for this?
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work! I don't quite understand what it means but it's different!

It would be nice to see how you made the mesh's explode and warp like you did at the end of the video :O Very interesting!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    ... okay, so, at first I thought it was a joke, but I became oddly entranced by the whole thing. Even if it IS a joke, there are some very intentional parts that I particularly enjoyed, even if a.) I don't know what I enjoyed them and b.) they creep me the fuck out.

The best part is the end, with the voiceover while the mans face warps. It was the oscillating pink and yellow window frame with the realistic forest outside that just ...

Anyways, you created a very compelling visual mess here. You say you're looking for work, and I wish you the best of luck with that, I presume it will be hard unless you find someone looking for this very specific sort of thing.

Just, wow, I ...
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    I actually think that its the same category as 'I took a dump on a canvas... Its an art!'. Whatever makes you happy though... good luck... ?
  • waf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waf
    I love it! We need more experimental game art. Not everything has to be realistic T&A to be enjoyable.

Agreed! This guy's work reminds me a lot of REZ, I can almost envision his game art as a REZ 2.0, and knowing the fanbase they would gobble it up.
  • emoral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    emoral polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys. Thanks a lot for the input. Yes The "reel" might be too strange and it might not help me find a job. I just wanted to put together some of the work, and see how people react to it. This work is usually showed on large projections, with dancers, or actors or singers performing in front of it. It is not commercial, it is usually shown on experimental venues, in collaboration with other experimental artists, always played on real time.
    It is psychedelic, and might not be everybody's cup of tea. I try to push the engine to the "wrong" places, I am always looking for unique images, that press "uncomfortable" buttons. Errors and serendipity are essential to my process. There is so much more than sleek images, beautiful landscapes and characters. The "industry" is taking care of that. I have been lucky enough to be able to do the experiments i want to do. Of course, if i was working with a team, for a commercial project, the approach would be different. It is great to hear the input here, it makes me think and doubt.
    @barnesy the distortion of the face is made through vertex deformation on the material applied to the mesh. This technique is generally used to create bending and distortions on vegetation or other SFX. It is not intended for deforming faces, If you push the values, you get strange results. The audio of that sequence is from an Orson Wells radio show, where the characters are discussing the insanity of one them. I tried to "approximate" an image of insanity.
    Well and as it being a "dump" or with too many drugs. I can say that there is a lot of work behind those images, yet i can understand people disliking it.
  • TehSplatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
    Having acid flash backs while watching this
  • Skummel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow man haha I didnt understand it one bit but I really liked the parts with the man sitting in the chair & freaking out. Also the end part with the Orson Wells audio was super creepy, very nice! I think if all the imagery shared a more common theme it would be more understandable or be able to be interpreted to have different meanings or something. But I suppose thats the opposite of what youre trying to do right?
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I liked most of it. Feels like that weird demoscene stuff. I also immediately wanted to watch the video for Shed by Meshuggah and I think both videos press those "uncomfortable" buttons pretty well.

You could have lots of fun with the UDK material editor too. It's more flexible than the material system of CryEngine(it's easier to get strange results :)).
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I'm right there with everybody else that was thinking this was a joke but the longer I watched the more noticeable the abstract stuff was intentially standing out.

I get it; Super cool visuals but I would love to see them used in a more practical sense for gaming.

Would you mind picking out a few of your favorites and breaking them down?
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    good stuff, i've always been fond of idea of deliberately causing glitches to get bizarre results but i think i never saw a whole video based on them.
    The Wells part was definitely one of best sequences in the clip.

now, where are my bear friends when i need them?
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The ending was absolutely crazy, I loved it!

If anyone has a link to that radio show story, I'd be forever in your debt. :)
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a few comments.
    - I didn't watch it with sound, so not sure if I missed a lot without it
    - this was the craziest thing ever!
    - some effects I didn't even think Cry engine could do (the warping highlighted walls, the black and white bird scene)
    - barrels exploding INTO existence (rather than exploding and getting destroyed) - genious!
    - I have no idea what I just watched, but I watched the whole thing and I was so enticed by it, I was disappointed when it finished, man this drags you in
    - the guy at the end is going to be in my nightmares for weeks - damn those eyes!
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I thought it was neat. I think it's fine for what you seem to be using it for, experimental live stuff, going on in the background with dancers and what not. Guess that makes sense.

But at the same time, I imagine that if someone was actually seeking out something similar thinking "I need this for my project", I think you'd have a hard time showing how you can intentionally mess up...better(?) than the next guy.

I did enjoy it. It was neat to watch. But I feel like for me to really judge this at all I've got to have something else along the same line to compare it to. And so far as abstract stuff goes, this does feel a lot more on the side of "I messed stuff up and had a lot of time on my hands and made a video of it" rather than something that makes me feel like this is your work or skill set of some sort.

I would be interested to see another one a year from now, would I be able to tell that you'd gotten any "better"? That you were better at messing stuff up? Would making it...worse, make it more...refined? Or would making it more recognizable make it better? Or would that be further from the goal?

Who the hell knows, I guess. Cool video nonetheless.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Is it 100% in engine? Or was it a composite of different scenes in a video editor?

To me that makes a HUGGGGE difference, because if it is 100% in engine with no post processing from video editing it shows off some skill. If it is mostly done with a video editor then it just shows a weird style of art.
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
    i wanna play that game!