Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Pre-Apocalyptic Lab

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Prtofdacrowd polycounter lvl 8
Below are the current work in progress shots of my Final Year Project for my University degree, it has been handed in and the restrictions are off! and before I cut my loses I would like some feedback and critique :poly122:

Hope you enjoy!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X33wmSbk-g"]Youtube Matinee Capture[/ame]

Current WIP's:
046e00_1ff3655792b12bea955cde12f253d0d1.jpg_srz_1627_814_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz
046e00_e284ccc1fe0f84b4aa0ac3b967b8e31b.jpg_srz_1627_814_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz
046e00_baf67fa06f278c85fff70d2bfc893c1a.jpg_srz_1627_814_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz
046e00_1e841eb4d95b8e26e0c6d10b3e6d682a.jpg_srz_1627_814_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Replies

• Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    I feel like the TV should be off, it just is to photorealistic compared to the rest of the environment and draws away from the rest of the environment.
  • Prtofdacrowd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Orangeknight, thats actually an interesting comment, I see your point of view it is kind of one of the main storytelling devices in the scene.... maybe I can get a shader out, if not Ill take the time to create maybe an overlay like you would see on the news sometimes.
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks realy nice, but what exactly is 'pre-apocalyptic'?
  • Prtofdacrowd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it was a late post last night, the project was a 'storytelling environment in udk', it is set in the 'I am Legend' universe in the days before the virus goes global. Set in a personal / makeshift laboratory in an old warehouse conversion.
  • salacious_Crumb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    salacious_Crumb polycounter lvl 11
    Looks nice, but I feel its a bit dark. Lighten it up a bit so people can see it easier. And the area around the stairs could maybe do with a bit more detail, like some wood around the edges of the hole. It feels like the transition from wall to the plank floor is to abrupt.
    The tv does seem to stand out. Perhaps play around with the brightness/contrast or something. It could also be casting light into the room.
  • Prtofdacrowd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks thats a great suggestion, Ill definitely fix the tv is a comment that no-one has ever suggested, as for the darkness one of the most important aspects of storytelling is composition, however i have found that my LED monitor does not convey its appearance on an LCD monitor in terms of brightness. Thats got to be something I have to look into in future projects!

I do have a question to propose...

As this is a final year project for Uni it was always faced with restrictions and other factors.... should I take this project further? or cut my loses and move onto a new personal project?
  • Broken_Lawnmower
    So this is just a regular Lab?

"We're all pre-apocalyptic, baby. We just don't know it."
    - some guy

also uh... looking pretty sweet so far! I love the off kilter purple uv light things. I would agree with the comments about the tv, but also that brain display, for me, is much too prominent. There isn't really anything to balance it and so I find that my eye keeps getting sucked back to it.

As for your question, I say finish it, not just because I personally like but because I think you'll get more out of it if you see it through to the end, even if it doesn't end up in your portfolio. Unless you're hitting like a major brick wall or something in terms of completing it, in which case then yeah, take a break from it.
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    i was gonna comment on the tv, but i see someone has already done that :S

you should try and either:

1) make your own animation, convert to .bik and add to the scene;

2) grab some other game cutscene, edit it and add;

3) place just a static image there, maybe with some dynamic static, just so to give the feeling the image is dynamic.

i guess one of these would fit the scene better ^^