Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Thomas Forkin - Environment Artist

Hello Polycount,

My Name is Tom and I am an aspiring environment artist who has just completed a three year degree in Game Art. I have assembled an online portfolio and would really appreciate some critique. You can view it here.

This project brief was to design a rooftop scene. Here I simply became inspired by a photo of Paris by night.

paris_1.jpg
This was my final major project, completed recently and focuses on Art Nouveau architecture. Replicating people such as Antoni Gaudi and Victor Horta.

p1.jpg
p2.jpg
A simple vehicle prop to inhabit an environment.

3.jpg

A desk prop designed by Antoni Gaudi.
p3.jpg

Replies

• TMForkin
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    Welcome to PC, TMForkin. Found this on page 3, thought I would bump it. Wish you had breakdowns of your scenes-Wireframes, Tri counts, texture sizes, that sort of thing. Also, makes sure you put your name on your images.
  • Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthy9986 polycounter lvl 7
    I second the wireframes, tri count, and texture sizes/sheets comment. Also you have no resume on your website.
  • trsnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work, and excellent choice of material! Really cool to see someone doing this stuff. Agreed with the above two, though.

The fire on the fly through could use work. Right now it's bit distracting. The particles aren't convincing at all, try making them smaller and using more particles, and maybe try using two systems: one for the inner and higher flames, one for the larger lower flames. Not my specialty, but that's what I would do at least.
    Some dynamic lighting from the fire would help, too. Try animating the lights. Even if you just made the intensity flicker, I think it would add a lot.
  • TMForkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Wonkey,

Well I had a go at creating some wire frame sheets with all the necessary information, although I am a little unsure of the composition/format. Should I have more UDK wireframe shots of different aspects of the environment?

@Anthy, Something I need to get around to! Will upload it when I update the website.

@Trnsell, Thanks, there is so much fantastic source material for this kind of environment design, beautiful stuff. I will definitely be editing the fire particles, I was in a slight rush to get it complete for a deadline, so it needs some more love!

wireframe-UDK.jpg
    Support-asset.jpg
    Stairs-asset.jpg
    Staircase-asset.jpg
    Lighting-asset.jpg

Will update the site within the next couple of days for further comments.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I like the idea of the art nouveau scene, but not the execution. It feels a sloppy, texturewise. You're missing the center piece of the floor:
    tassel2.jpg
    instead, reusing your other texture. This is kind of bad, since that square bit of floor is kind of the centerpiece, secondary only to the doorframes. The lines on the floor are also simplified a lot and missing much detail. You're missing the florals on the ceiling. The supporting pillars are far too flimsy and thin - and are obviously intersecting the ceiling. Your railing are also not structurally sound, having many floating curves. The wall-florals would look so much nicer if they'd been a bit more reflective, like gold paint, and you also have them in just one color when the real version has light and dark curves. You also have the scale of the 'suns' wrong , and you seem to have not spotted the repeating swung-back C pattern.
    ArtNouveauC.jpg

Don't get me wrong. Technically it's pretty strong (though you need to work on polygon distribution), and the idea of art deco in game art is appealing too because it's just so under-appreciated. But looking at the current incarnation I'm just seeing a lot of missed potential.