Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sculpting Progress

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
GabrielP polycounter lvl 7
So I was sitting thinking about the deeper meaning of life and decidied what the world really needed was another daily speed sculpt thread...

This is actually my 1st ever human head bust from a sphere in mudbox. I would love to hear what you guys think, I'm looking to improve.
front-2.png

Replies

• GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here is my latest. Im thinking of possibly taking this one a bit further.
    Untitled-1-1.png
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Here's a liquify/paintover for the second one.

gabpriske_headPO.gif

Good progress from the first to second regardless, keep going!
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for the paint over! I made some adjustments, would love to hear more crits!
    Untitled-1-2.png
  • theslingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The adjustments helped a lot! Those ears need some love though. Get some ref for ears and perfect them ;)
    earreference.jpg
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the great concepts theslingshot, here is what I came up with, thoughts?
    side-3.png
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NORMAL MAP SEAMS!

Alright so Im about ready to explode. Ive changed every setting, tried every tutorial and done every tweak I could find to make this darn seem go away, but just cant seem to do it. HELP POLYCOUNT!

Heres the problem
    Normalseem-1.png

The low-poly mesh is defiantly all in one smooth group...

Here is the map
    topo.png

And here are the exact setting I plugged into mudbox
    Untitled-1-3.png

I havent a clue whats causing the problem, Ive been all over google. Any help would be majorly appreciated.

EDIT

Okay so I fixed my problem.. kind of?

When Im opening the normal map in 3Ds max to apply to the character, if I click override in the preview window it gets really bright. However in the material editor window it looks normal. When I dont do that it looks normal in the prview window but then really dark in the material editor.

All that said, when I click overide the seems are gone! My only concern is that I dont understand why its happening. any insight here?

Override Checked:
    Untitled-1-4.png
    [IMG][/IMG]

Default settings.
    topo-1.png
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Flipped green?
    You render it with Max, right? Even my best models/maps have seams when I take the wrong render engine.

Did you try some realtime shader + lights or is this scanline/mental ray?
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I rendered it in mudbox, just updated that post, any insight on that would be awesome!
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    It definitely is a flipped green channel in the map. Just hop into photoshop and invert the green channel and you should be good to go.
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright I tried inverting the green channel and it really didnt turn out well.
    half-3.png

However, I sent the model over to a buddy and he told me it looks totally normal to him, threw it into unity and sent me this image back:
    IMG_17052012_141436.png

If you notice in the early screen shots of my importing the map, in the import window its one color but in the 3Ds max material editor its another. I think I may have messed up something on my computer or in 3Ds max related to gamma or something along those lines. any ideas?

sorry if this thread is getting annoying, I cant tell you how much I appreciate all your guys help and advice.
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright so I guess I have my normal mapping issue moderately figured out. Just going to tick overide in my viewer and let it be sense it works fine for people i send it to. Anyway here is the bake, would LOVE to hear crits on it.
    Front-4.png

Also started playing with some cloth sculpting, currently I hate it, just really doesnt feel right. But I thought Id share anyways.
    side-4.png
  • letronrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try flipping your Green (y) channel when you see your seams.

nvm just read...