Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Hellboy II - Golden Army Chamber

Hey all, working on a new scene for a class project and thought it would be wise to get a thread going, keep track of my progress and get some opinions from a great variety of artists.

As of now I am in the infant stage of the project, attempting to nail down the Scale, Silhouette and the Basic internal shapes

I would appreciate any comments and criticism given and will update whenever possible

Thanks

CONCEPT - for those of you who do not recall this Amazing scene

cONCEPT_gODLENaRMY_Ceiling.jpgcONCEPT_gODLENaRMY_Gears.jpg

Basic Renders - disregard the FPS floating around , forgot to turn it off when I grabbed the stills, whoops

GoldenArmy_Roof.jpgGoldenArmy_Gears.jpgGoldenArmy_Columns.jpg

Replies

• Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Definitely a good start. Good choice of scene, by the way. The shapes are all fairly simple and shouldn't be too much of a pain to UV. Those cogs are gonna be really fun to texture too. Keep it up, this was one of my favorite scenes of both those movies :P
  • MillenniumGear5
    Hey again everyone, been a while since I updated, been making amazing progress thanks to the comments and critiques I've been receiving from classmates, instructors, and friends

I am loving how this scene is coming together and am enjoying every minute of it

*That is with exception to those blasted gears, maybe someone has encountered this issue before - The light source is predominantly from above and the specular and normals are fairly uniform, so logic would say the gear would shine uniformly from any degree flying around it. YET ! The gears spec appears and disappears from certain angles and degrees, it is quite strange

NEVER THE LESS ! Here is the progress I've made in the past weeks, comment, critique and let me know what you think !

HellboyBeautyTest_09.jpgHellboyBeautyTest_04.jpgHellboyBeautyTest_01.jpgHellboyBeautyTest_06.jpgHellboyBeautyTest_03.jpgHellboyBeautyTest_02.jpg

*side note, do you prefer the floor to be deep and shadowed or shallow and subtle ? the scene is hard to tell from what reference I have
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I'd go for a smooth top layer and detailed lower forms.

3795550629_6ffd408490_o.jpg
    A lot of people have walked over this through, and their feet have slowly polished the top bit of the chiseled floor. It might be a bit tricky to simulate, but I think it's what you should aim for.