Home Unreal Engine

Preserving Materials on Skeletal mesh

Hello people!

This is primarily an import pipeline problem. Our Character models are made in Max using multi/sub Materials.

They are then moved into Motionbuilder for mocap animations.

However the materials IDs get's lost in the process of importing the Skeletal mesh into UDK from Motionbuilder.

We've tried importing the model back into to max and then tweaking the materials IDs back. While this gave us Material slots we needed in UDK. it ended up screwing with the animations.

Any ideas on how we could get a workaround on this, any suggestions would be vary appreciated.

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    AslanTech wrote: »
    However the materials IDs get's lost in the process of importing the Skeletal mesh into UDK from Motionbuilder.

There used to be a way to fix the material ID's in place using a naming convention. So you'd call the materials in max ID0, ID1, ID2 etc. However I haven't checked this in the latest UDK so I don't know if it's still current.
  • R.White
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you can get away with just importing the skinned character with the materials all setup. And then after that import the animations into an AnimSet and it should have no impact how the actual model looks from then on.

Basically having two files, one that is the mesh with the proper skinning and materials, and then the animation data as a separate file.
  • AslanTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions!

We manege to fix it by re-skinning the models again, which wasn't much of a hassle due to the character being a robot.

there were some early problems with the same elements having different IDs at first but its all history now.

Thanks again guys
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    There used to be a way to fix the material ID's in place using a naming convention. So you'd call the materials in max ID0, ID1, ID2 etc. However I haven't checked this in the latest UDK so I don't know if it's still current.

it think this is the second thread you help me out with that i forget to answer on....How rude of me.

I want to look deeper into this thought. will replay to this thread when i have the exact info on the subject.:)