1_wip3.jpg

1_stylized-shield-b.jpg

20_smokinganim.gif

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    horizontal scrolling? You don't want people to be able to see your work easily?

way too much fluff in content. Portfolio should be just that and resume
  • TehSplatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
    Thats a pretty bad layout i didnt even realise i could scroll side to side untill i saw choldens comment
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    What happened there dude ? :D
    znFtD.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Just fluff with lots of weird stuff that doesn't belong in a portfolio. Highly inconsistent work as well, cut out like 70% of the content.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Content aside --

Horizontal scrolling is the norm for a lot of portfolios, especially photography -- but for some reason not in the game industry. I don't know why this is, and with all due respect to the others who've posted, it was immediately obvious to me that the thing moved sideways. That said, I too prefer the vertical scrolling for this kind of a portfolio UNLESS it is a horizontal menu, with the scrolling content centered underneath. Bottom line, there has to be some sort of indication that content lies in the sides of the page.

If you MUST keep the horizontal thing (and again, I don't really think it's a good idea for this kind of thing), then give us a heads up somewhere. It seems you're using INDEXHIBIT, so you could easily use an image arrow underneath the first image. Link to it in the postnav box in the main settings, or in the caption of the first image.

Anyways, that is content aside. I think others have addressed the content part quite well.
  • OMGiFARTED
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with everyone else about the side scrolling, i guess it's a cool thing in regards to web design, but i just want to see your work. the way it's on here in polycount it the way I would like to see your work. I'm not sure if this is all the work you've done in the past but it seems there are different levels of skill in your pieces. You want to just put in your best AAA work. I'm sure you've heard "quality, not quantity".

You definitely got some traditional hand drawing skills and you know how to model and you have pretty good normals in your models in most of your models. I think you could work on your texturing. Though you do know how to use UV space quite nicely. Your best textured asset is the sci-fi platform thing and the axe. The other stuff like your gun seem to be a little too noisy and low res for my eyes.

You have quite of bit of stuff that looks like its WIPs, like your scene thats on a floating island, the boxing scene, and the Japanese type building. I suggest leaving these out. It shows that you only are satisfied with polished work. For example, blizzard's diablo 3 has been in production for 10 years..they never release their games until they are absolutely almost perfect. Having 4 pieces that are absolutely awesome and finished is enough to show your skills.

Lastly, i'm gonna have to really hit you hard on your presentation. You got some renders with presentations but most with not. The way you present "cowboys and indians" (like up top) should be the way you present your work. Obviously with "scenes" you probably don't want to have a presentation layout, but at least throw a layout on your props and assets. I wanna see more high res renders. Lemme see the details. If you have a scene i wanna be able to zoom in on one piece and still be moderately high res. You got to get away from the "PrintScreen" thing. I don't want to see that you took that render in "Perspective" mode in maya. Take some time in your presentations! it's just as important as everything else in your worflow.

Anyways man, i hope you take my criticisms as constructive ones. I really want to see that floating piece textured! If you got the money invest in Marmoset...$50 to make your stuff really bad@ss, i think it's worth it. good luck man
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    You need to work on your presentation. It seems like all of your work is just thrown in there, with little to no care about how it looks. You should not be posting viewport screens in a portfolio, nor should renders be that low resolution.