Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Remi Roundtree

Remi Roundtree
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Remi Roundtree polycounter lvl 4
Hello, my name is Remi Roundtree and I just finished up my first 3ds max class. Here is my final project.

doublesuits.jpg

suitdisplaypage.jpg

Any thoughts on what to make next?

Replies

• Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frist thing, the background is making my eyes bleed...

And you should optimize your model a bit better, I realy can't imagine how you got nearly 8k triangles in there. Oh and try to get everything on one texture. :)

Other than that I'd say this is a pretty solid first attempt, keep it up!
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modelling is nice.

Find some tutorials on how to UVW Map. Then find some tutorials on how to texture using textures from places like CGtextures.com Then find some tutorials on how to make your own textures :)
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
    It looks like you have 5 or 6 texture maps? Why? this could be done very easily with only one map at 1024 or 2048 resolution.

Like Serei and David Wilkins said the model seems pretty blocky for something using 8k tris, it needs some optimization for sure. There are lots of places you continue cuts through the geometry when they're no longer doing anything to affect silhouette.

And you definitely need to work on texture painting and optimization. If looks like you've done this with Diffuse only? at least that's what you have posted in the image. If that's the case then you really need to focus on painting in a lighting direction and painting highlights and deeper shadows to give things depth and material definition. If you're using specular and normal maps they need to be cranked up because they're not affecting anything

The robot is meant to be made of metal I assume? But right now it looks like rock with random blotches on it and screens slapped on top. You have to push the material definition, get those highlights on there to make things read as metal. Also an indication of a seam or indent around the screens would make them look like they were actually inset into the robot, whereas right now they look like decals glued on top of this stone robot covered in lichen. Also more cut lines and bolts/screws might would also help see that this thing is a robot constructed out of metal.

You need to make sure rust/grime and dirt follow a logical pattern, if it's just splattered around for the hell of it, it looks strange. Try to concentrate that stuff in cracks and joints or places that see lots of water/coolant etc interacts and logically would be rusted or covered in gunk. Also try to avoid big details around mirrored UV seams otherwise you get a really obvious rorschach effect which isn't appealing unless you're specifically creating an obviously mirrored design without dirt and grime on it.

It's definitely a good start, but you have a ways to go. Even if you don't go back and fix this guy try to keep this stuff in mind for your next project.
  • Remi Roundtree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remi Roundtree polycounter lvl 4
    good advice, thanks guys :)
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    lol eyes bleeding