Home General Discussion

Schooling

kco
kco
Hello all!

I was wondering what the best kind of education to get would be. Currently I am attending a Media Institute that specializes in Game Design, Animation and Game Development. I attended the University of Wisconsin - Madison for three years, but never ending up graduating. When I finish my current program I will obtain an Associates of Art Degree. If I have a bomb portfolio, some history at the University AND the Associates, do I still stand a chance for getting a job? I am open to all suggestions, but am currently at a loss for what I should do/whether or not I should continue the program I am in now.

Replies

• ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    School is not really too important they look at your portfolio and experience school comes last and is still considered a + and not requarment.
    Take a look at this
    Environment Artist

[/SIZE] Responsibilities
    · [FONT=&quot]Creating models for both architectural and organic natural environments. [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Trouble-shoot levels and maintain them, so they stay in frame rate, memory and design spec. [/FONT]

Requirements and Skills
    · [FONT=&quot]3-5 years experience games or games related experience modeling and texturing environments using Maya [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Strong experience and techniques in creating plants, shrubs and vines using cards/flats. [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Strong artistic ability to visualize entire levels and detail with minimal concept art and direction. [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Strong technical ability to manage assets to fit memory, design, and frame rate limits. [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Strong polygonal modeling skills- able to generate clean and efficient models at a very fast pace. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Self-motivated- requires minimal direction, can carry on the vision for the level until completion and commit to deadlines. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Good communication skills – able to help others and ask for help when needed. Being proactive in sharing info and assets. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]great team-player attitude - being flexible with new ideas, being open to direction and changes. Listening to team mates. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Deadline oriented- being able to manage and organize work so he meets all the deadlines and is able to adjust when changes happen. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Excellent eye for light, shade, and color,. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]An exceptional understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regard to modeling [/FONT]
  • xk0be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should post your work here. If you have a bomb portfolio, like above poster said, thats basically all that matters.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seeing as how you're posting on Polycount about this, I'm assuming you are after a artist position of some sort. In that case degree's are pretty useless (at least for entry to mid-level positions). Theoretically if all things were equal between two applicants the one with the degree might have an edge, not sure if this ever really happens in the real world though.

The knowledge you might attain while attending school can be very useful though. Things like traditional art fundamentals, architecture, product design, history, etc... You might even be able to meet some industry contacts in school who can help you get your foot in the door. Beyond that all employers want to see is proof of your ability to do the work at an exceptional level of skill. So work on your portfolio and make it the best you possibly can.

If you're looking into other positions in the game industry, degrees can make more of a difference. Computer Science, Engineering, or Math for programmers for example. Game designers seem to benefit from getting as broad an education as possible. Check out this cool article about how a degree in Physics led to a great career in game design.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    what Ben said - and post some work! Polycount is a great place for that and for improving your work!
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kco wrote: »
    Hello all!

I was wondering what the best kind of education to get would be. Currently I am attending a Media Institute that specializes in Game Design, Animation and Game Development. I attended the University of Wisconsin - Madison for three years, but never ending up graduating. When I finish my current program I will obtain an Associates of Art Degree. If I have a bomb portfolio, some history at the University AND the Associates, do I still stand a chance for getting a job? I am open to all suggestions, but am currently at a loss for what I should do/whether or not I should continue the program I am in now.

tldr there's no need for a degree in this industry (provided we're speaking about art);
    your associates won't look extra good on the resume because a lot of people are self-taught and/or got their schooling online, there's no shortage of courses right now.
    at the same time, lack of degree can backstab you if you're looking for overseas opportunities where bachelors and some work experience are generally a must for work visa/work permit case.
    if you are only thinking about your domestic market, concentrate on your work. post it here, you'll get a reasonable reality check (college view of your own work can be misleading.)