Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Goblin Zeppelin sculpt. My first big Zbrush/Maya peace!

Looking for some feedback on this. I have been learning Maya and Zbrush after using 3D Studio's for over 15 years (I started in 3DS 4 DOS). This peace is based off of concept art from Blizzard for World of Warcraft.

airship00001.jpg

airship00003.jpg

airship00009.jpg

Replies

• Gibbage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the concept art I found for this peace.

Zeppelin2.JPG
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    This is looking great! I'd love to see a screenshot angled from the top without wires, preferably close to where the sail meets the balloon.

I'd love to see you readdress the textures to bring them more in line with the concept. Right now every different material on the object feels like it's from a different universe. They don't feel very unified like in the concept. I would imagine that flying a zeppelin over Azeroth would give it some pretty serious wear and tear.

Looks great! Keep going!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Your metal is a bit too grainy and is reading like concrete. Is it photo sourced? I also feel it's weird how specular your wood and canvas from the balloon is but how flat your metal is reading. Might just be your render. Also, a cavity map in your diffuse might help make some of your little shapes pop. Really good work so far. Just needs that extra push to make it super sweet.
  • Gibbage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a shot with both the concept and 3D next to each other for my portfolio. You can see they came out very close. When I started this, I didnt know the concept was from WoW, and that has a very spacific look and feel, so I went with a more realistic feel but still kept it stylized. Think of it as "If Wow met Rift" or something ;)

airship_05.jpg
  • Gibbage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Your metal is a bit too grainy and is reading like concrete. Is it photo sourced? I also feel it's weird how specular your wood and canvas from the balloon is but how flat your metal is reading. Might just be your render. Also, a cavity map in your diffuse might help make some of your little shapes pop. Really good work so far. Just needs that extra push to make it super sweet.

I see what your saying. Good eye! The metal is shiny, but the lights just arnt hitting it properly to show it off. Ill look into cranking up the spec map to fix this.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Ehh.. Cranking something up isn't always necessarily a good thing. It's more.. Picking what part of the spec map you want to crank and which parts you want to stay subtle. Otherwise it may just end up looking a bit too glossy and giving a wet feel.
  • Gibbage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry. Used the wrong term. Im just going to crank up the metal layer on the spec, not the entire map.