Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Splash Damage Art Test - WIP Thread.

Hey guys,

My hand painted texturing leaves alot to be desired, and i could use some more practice in UDK - so i figured i'd kill two birds and do the splash damage environment art test (2012 edition). Being relatively new to game environments i'm also trying to wrap my head around modular assets and design. Would appreciate any help or advice you can throw at me :)

The concept
xnu2yt.jpg

My attempt at a hand painted tiling brick texture
2dw6uye.jpg

My approach so far
2ztav7m.jpg

Thanks and stay tuned :)

Replies

• Reventius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reventius polycounter lvl 9
    Interesting way of approaching this piece and it's always good to see this line of thinking in the planning stages. I'm curious to see how exactly you're going to be merging the external structure into the building itself. I'm working on a version of this myself and it'll be fun to see how they both turn out in the end. I'll be monitoring this thread. Good luck, man.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I'm not going to put words into SD's mouth, but I know some companies do not like you to post your art test stuff publicly. Mainly since other people do this they want to see what people are capable on their own instead of looking at your test and saying "Oh, that looks great, I'll make mine look like that."

Also, while you would normally be working in a team environment, the point of most art tests is to see exactly what you are capable of on your own, without the help of a board critiques. Like I said, I could be wrong on this and I can't speak for Splash Damage as I don't work there or anything but you may want to see what their policy is on posting your art test making of before you shoot yourself in the foot.
  • mutatedjellyfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mutatedjellyfish polycounter lvl 10
    Splash Damage has allowed their tests to be posted in public for a while now. Also, he said he's going to do their art test for practice, but he doesn't say that he's applied to them or been instructed to do the art test. I think he's just using it as a personal project.
  • kwark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i was just using the concept for practice but erk i didnt even realise companies had policies like that. I figured most art tests are generally internal and part of an interview process but Splash damage have the concept up on their website, so i guess its OK? Idk I'll have to do some research :)

@Praetus "Oh, that looks great, I'll make mine look like that." - Those poor misguided souls.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    There are no issues. Your brick tiles extremely well, and nice planning too. Carry on!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    red bricks is just tooo standard, bro. try something fresher usually this is what the majority of people come up with. I would really love to do this test if i had time, it looks super fun, because most of the concept doesn't suggest a certain material. so you could play around with a whole bunch of interpretations. for example.

london_building_aw050507_160.jpg

Lloyds_Building_stair_case.jpg

buildings&CISOPTR=456

lloyds.jpg

just my 2 cents. solid textures BTW.
  • mutatedjellyfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mutatedjellyfish polycounter lvl 10
    Make the modern add-on part strawberry jello.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    Myles just did this test to, you can check his result out at his site - http://www.myleslambert.co.uk/
  • GummiEnte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GummiEnte polycounter lvl 10
    Can't wait to see the how this is turning out -> subscribed :D
  • kwark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nets lagging so i wont upload too much. Here's another tile. Might ahve to adjust the texture depending on the slope of the roof/whether there will be more side tile exposed. Crits would be appreciated :)

@Alberto. Yeah don't worry too much, i've definitely got something thats significantly different to the concept :). Red bricks are ( i think) an important part of that whole old vs new thing the concept has going on. I did use some of that reference though, its awesome - thanks.

@gummi. Woo :)

screenshot0.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1336578612355

Thanks guys.

Also...blatant advertisement. - www.originsmmo.com - every web hit and facebook like pushes us closer to self funded release :)