Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Envinronment - "Alone in the Dark" concepts

Hello everyone! So this is my first post here and to be honest I'm still a bit nervous after seeing how talented some of you are lol. This is a semi-WIP since every scene is pretty much stand-alone, and I'm just working on one more.

So I happened to stumble upon some of Pascal Casolari's concept art for the game "Alone in the Dark" and loved his style. It really reminded me of Myst in the sense of a beautiful environment that also feels so desperate, lonely, or even haunting in some regards. So I remade a few scenes that I liked the most and would love some feedback for what I have so far.

Exterior Shot:
Scene_1_Lit_Post.png?t=1336287565
Room 1:
Scene_3_Lit.png?t=1336287566
Room 2:
?action=view&current=Scene_3_Lit.png#%21oZZ5QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1071.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fu518%2FJAEnglehardt%2FAlone%2520In%2520the%2520Dark%2520UDK%2520Environment%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DScene_2_Lit_Post.pngScene_2_Lit_Post.png?t=1336287566

I also made a fly through which can be found on Vimeo

So I've gotten some ideas from other people about things to do for the exterior. I'll start by modeling a few individual rocks to put in and vary up the design. I also want to add in a few more elements to really emphasize the scale of the environment compared to the player. I'm not sure about adding vegetation or not, part of me thinks that would actually detract from the feel of the scene.

Anyway, I would appreciate all your thoughts and would love to answer any questions you have :)

Replies

• Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    This is looking really fantastic. I feel like your lighting and color work together to give these rooms a strong composition and a very solitary feeling.
    I do feel like you could be rounding off or beveling those edges though, especially in the second room; they're too sharp currently.
  • darktype
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon wrote: »
    This is looking really fantastic. I feel like your lighting and color work together to give these rooms a strong composition and a very solitary feeling.
    I do feel like you could be rounding off or beveling those edges though, especially in the second room; they're too sharp currently.

Thank you very much :)

I kind of feel what you are talking about regarding the edges, but at the same time I think that the sharpness is partially what gives it the feeling of being futuristic, which also lends itself to being mysterious in this setting.

Still, I was thinking about maybe not beveling, but perhaps adding a few chips in places to give the impression it wasn't always abandoned?

I'll update again tomorrow after I can work on it a bit more
  • darktype
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit more work done - here's the rock piece I'll use to vary up the design.
    Rock_1_Render.png

I keep going back and forth on the diffuse texture, but I think it's looking good so far :)

edit: Does anyone have any critiques? I feel so lonely lol
  • DennisGlowacki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DennisGlowacki polycounter lvl 7
    This is very interesting! Can't wait to see the rocks used.

I think the big cracks in the exterior shot look a bit odd any chance modelling those in a bit would be better or maybe a normal/displacement map?
    The interior cracks on the edges look really good.
  • darktype
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is very interesting! Can't wait to see the rocks used.

I think the big cracks in the exterior shot look a bit odd any chance modelling those in a bit would be better or maybe a normal/displacement map?
    The interior cracks on the edges look really good.

The cracks on the exterior one do look a bit odd I agree. I didn't have much time, so they were done rather quickly (and rather cheaply lol).

Thanks for your thoughts though, I'm kind of putting this one on hold while I work on something else :)