Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Vintage Garage Scene

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
DiHydro polycounter lvl 6
I've been working on this on and off and thought that its about time I posted my wip and hopefully get some input on how to improve it.

So I'm trying to make a garage scene from the 1940s or close to that era. I don't know how accurate I'll be able to get but hopefully convincing enough. Of the many references I've gathered my main source of reference is this image below.

1940-Pictures.jpg

Here's what I've done so far in my scene:

WIP_01a.jpg

WIP_02.jpg

WIP_03.jpg

WIP_04.jpg

Crits very welcomed and appreciated.

Replies

• Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The smoothed normals on your brick pillars inside make the mesh look like it's beveled and rounded. You should harden your edge normals for that asset.
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    It's a solid looking start, the scale looks right and thats usually half the battle.

I would ditch the brick columns on the inside, they really don't add much and do more to block the line of sight.

The two brick textures you have on the outside seem a bit muddy in comparison to the street/sidewalk which are nice and crisp. Maybe throw an unsharp mask on them in PS.
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Paris: yeah for some reason they appear soft, but according to my static mesh editor it appears fine. I guess I have to mess around with my lighting.
    WIP_Column.jpg

DeadyFreeze: I threw on an unsharp mask, I think that helped it a bit.
    WIP_05_UnsharpMask.jpg

I may consider resculpting the bricks now that I look at it again...

Thanks for the input guys.
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whats a garage without a car. Started my high poly Plymouth.

plymouth_01.jpg

plymouth_02.jpg
  • michaelmilette
    ^ do you have referance for that car I googled it and couldnt find anything that looks similar? The high poyl is looking good are you going to make an interior that would be pretty sweet XD. I did see a couple things though in the back view it looks like the metal making up the cars hatchback is bending at the top and bottom of the trunk (not sure if this is just a camera issue or not?). Also on the top of the truck it seems like the seam is disappearing as if it was a separate object?

add some more detail

exhaust pipe
    license plate
    handle to open trunk
    side mirrors (only if this car originally had them)
    rear lights

keep up the good work :)
  • Vulgertarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks very similar to a 30's-40's period Mercedes Benz.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Not sure what's been said but I would say a big thing is how your bricks have no concrete inbetween them. That is crutial for them to read as breaks especially from far away. It's also a great opportunity for a much more interesting texture.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    I was just going to mention that, @wester.
    As it is though, without the mortar there is really no reason to be sculpting them as they should be pretty flat, save for some detail normals to show seams and chips.