Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Nicula Mihai Adrian - Prop/Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
k21n polycounter lvl 10
Hello guys, yesterday i was thinking to make a portfolio... so here it is http://k21n.carbonmade.com/

I'm not looking for work at the moment. Just wanted to have a good looking portfolio for the future and make it look even better. Any advices ?

Replies

• Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    A few quick things about the site itself:

1) Use your real name.

2) Brand your images. Put your name/website on each one.

3) Allow people to download your images. If someone is lookingat something they like, make it as easy as possible for them to save the image AND know where it came from.
  • k21n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k21n polycounter lvl 10
    darbeenbo wrote: »
    A few quick things about the site itself:

1) Use your real name.

2) Brand your images. Put your name/website on each one.

3) Allow people to download your images. If someone is lookingat something they like, make it as easy as possible for them to save the image AND know where it came from.

Hi and thanks for the feedback. I use my real name, it is in the "About" section. But i was thinking since the beggining if i should use my real name everywhere and put a logo with my nickname or not... i also was thinking to brand my images, but i thought that would be useless because i can't make the images downloadable... also a friend of mine said to make the images larger, for this i need to upgrade my account and it wouldn't be a problem anymore:)
  • k21n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k21n polycounter lvl 10
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    First of all, in my opinion I'd strongly suggest you build your own site from scratch rather than using preset stuff like carbonmade. Wouldn't require any advanced stuff, just basically a bunch of images slapped on a page. The faster the viewer can get to see your work the better.

As for the work itself, it's not "there" yet but it'll get there definitely. Just keep on producing stuff. Put a lot of effort in presentation even if it just ends up looking minimalistic. You don't want anything to look messy. Having a black/white gradient behind things can kill the life in the pieces shown. Also for wireframe shots it'd be good to not show any textures or have them toned down a lot.

Simplicity, clarity and quality would be your guidelines I suppose. Hope it helps.

Keep at it!
  • k21n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k21n polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the suggestions! Hope to improve the quality of my presentation :)
  • k21n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k21n polycounter lvl 10
    What do you think for this layout ?

[IMG][/img]portfolioquestionmark.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skip text boxes and icons. Any text elements should of course read clear but don't make them compete for attention with the main piece.
  • k21n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k21n polycounter lvl 10
    I think it gives a bit of personality, i don't find them too competitive with the main piece. But how is the render for a portfolio ?
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think of it as an art gallery. You put information signs outside the artwork and not right on top of it. Put the work it self in focus, any additional information you can put on an additional construction sheet or something. That information probably will only be interesting if the final piece grabbed the viewers attention from the start anyway.
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is this piece being rendered in? I would make the text a bit smaller (even put a black thin banner down the bottom and incllude all text in there), keep the website URL and your name, but you could even include your contact number. If someone wants to call you about this and they don't have access to the internet, but your saved picture, then they can contact you.

Also, even for props, but them in a quick room with some lighting in there, having this prop realistically in a pure white environment (which you are getting pure white reflection) is pretty uncommon, spend another half an hour or so getting some lighting in a room and have it on a wood table, something similar.

I'd also recommend having your whole name at the top of your webpage. An employer would visit your page and the first thing he sees is your internet nickname? They don't care about that. Is that what people call you in real life, or around an office? I would get rid of it.

Have your best work first. They need to remember you. In the scene section, there are a couple of shots that are really similar, if you want to show off a section of the scene, but are using two slightly different positions, try to set up a wide angle of the whole area or put the camera back a bit. Too bad the template for that site doesn't allow larger images to show - I've got something similar and it sort of sucks.

Anyway, good luck mate, your stuff is pretty solid.
  • k21n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k21n polycounter lvl 10
    Hi Jimmy and thanks for your time! The renderer is NOX. It is a free, powerful software :). Thanks for your suggestion and compliment.
  • k21n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k21n polycounter lvl 10
    I am sorry AimBiZ just saw your post :( thanks for the info, i will give it a shot.

A month ago or so there was this contest on 3d Motive. You had a sillouthe, some details like the texture size and poly limit. It was a great exercise for me and i was wondering for some crits. I planed to add this on my folio.

hp.jpg
    wirefram.jpg
    ScreenShot00026.jpg
    tex.jpg
  • k21n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k21n polycounter lvl 10
    Hello polycount, i thought redoing my portfolio and so i started with this Garage that i just finished: any crits will be well welcomed. No more child moaning this time ^^

The whole ideas was to make an old garage/workshop a bit inspired from Alan Wake atmosphere.

Highres_Screenshot_00006.jpg
    Highres_Screenshot_00005.jpg
    Highres_Screenshot_00004.jpg
    Highres_Screenshot_00003.jpg
    Highres_Screenshot_00002.jpg
    Highres_Screenshot_00000.jpg
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    (image 2)
    Is that red object a door? The window looks really odd if it is, far too much frame.

(image 5)
    The door's very thick, about twice as thick as it should be.

I'd work on the texture alignment on the bricks, or maybe some trim. There's a layer of very slim bricks right over the door that runs straight into a concrete base texture

(image 6)
    The decal on the wall is good, but doesn't make much sense in its current placement. What created it?

Looks pretty good though.
  • k21n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k21n polycounter lvl 10
    Hey James, thanks for the reply and yes the image 2 is a car door, what do you mean by "far too much frame" ? And yeah, a friend of mine told me that the door is too thick, i was thinking at a bunker door when i worked at it. Didn't saw the texture problem at the main door, thanks for pointing it for me ^^

Also the decals i thought at something like this : the garage is very used and some accidents happened here and there and i tried to make it look a bit old. Plus to get rid of the repetitive texture.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Doors have a very thin frame around the window, roughly 1/2-1/3 the thickness of yours, and the window is usually taller. A slot for a mirror or a mirror. There's also a handle and often a bump strip too. Finally, note how most doors are slightly convex to continue the flowing lines of the car.

DL7ip.jpg

I also found some reference for some old doors while searching:
    1001cct_12_o+classic_parts_of_america+rust_damage_car_door.jpg
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    superdenny707 polycounter lvl 13
    In those last two images, the normal map on the brick looks like its going in instead of out. Try inverting the Green Channel in photoshop
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    Where's the light coming from in your scene? If it's just from those 2 lamps it needs a serious overhaul.. The lighting is very flat and uniform and there's no real source. If the only lights are the 2 inside and those 2 lamps outside, adjusting your lighting to fit this will immediately add 100 times more mood to the scene.

The brick texture around the door just cuts off, which is a classic mistake and looks fairly badly done. Try adding a door frame?

I'd also increase the lightmap resolution on some of your custom assets, take it up to about 128/256 or something so they have slightly nicer shadows on them.

Hope it helps :)
  • k21n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k21n polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks guys for the tips, looks better now from my opinion! Thank you very much. What do you guys think ?

Highres_Screenshot_00000-1.jpg
    Highres_Screenshot_00001-1.jpg
    Highres_Screenshot_00002-1.jpg
    Highres_Screenshot_00003-1.jpg
    Highres_Screenshot_00004-1.jpg
    Highres_Screenshot_00005-1.jpg
    Highres_Screenshot_00006-1.jpg
  • k21n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k21n polycounter lvl 10
    I remembered that i have done this door for a project.

screenshot1.jpg
    screenshot0-2.jpg
  • heyguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heyguy polycounter lvl 5
    Hey k21n. Cool looking door. I really like the art deco look to it.

About your garage scene, I think it's looking pretty good so far. I've got a couple of comments.

I agree with James about the door and trim piece for the walls. The walls look really flat right now. Some sort of trim at the bottom or top would make it look more interesting. A garage near my apartment has like these small strange triangular supports where the ceiling and wall meet. Maybe you'd want to find something like that. The reference James found is really great. I'm sure you can make the door more believable with that and some other reference.

Also, are those brick decals? I think the bricks look really giant. The bricks on the outside look the right size but the ones inside look too big. Just scale down the decal or alpha plane or whatever it is.

I like the change from white lights to yellow. I also like the textures for the walls and ceiling. Keep it up.
  • k21n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k21n polycounter lvl 10
    Noobish question: what do you guys mean by trim? I don't understand that term in this case.

And yes, those are brick decals and will do. Thanks! :)
  • heyguy