Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP]Deus Ex Hallway

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
Hi,this is some work that I'm doing primarily as learning project on UDK if it ends up looking good might eventually end up in portfolio.
The environment is based on Deus Ex concept art image that I found on internet. I'm going to make the environment a bit different from the original concept so it doesn't end up looking like I'm just copying it and that I have no imagination.I don't really have much to show except few texture most of them need improvements and are still WIP.

C&C are welcome!

Concept art:HERE
Textures
Each texture is 512x512 pixels in size probably going to put them later into texture sheet to save on processing power and that stuff.

img3.png
Ignore numbers on this one they will be removed
img2.png
img1.png
img4.png

Replies

• Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    The first thing I thought before reading any of the text was 'hey...this doesn't look very deus exy'. After looking at the concept and comparing it to what you have, I'm still thinking the same thing. It is one thing to add your own spin to something, but it still has to fit the general aesthetic and fit into the universe.

You say:
    "I'm going to make the environment a bit different from the original concept so it doesn't end up looking like I'm just copying it and that I have no imagination."

I say:
    "hey, maybe this guy has issues with following other peoples concepts and isn't able to accurately portray the scene in 3d."

While that may not be the case, it may be worth proving that you can do that, as it is a pretty difficult thing to do. If you are following a concept, follow it until you think you could improve on it, rather than making arbitrary changes to show "creativity". Creating something from someone else's concept is a good skill to learn.
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    The grunge under the numbers looks strange, why is it there?
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darbeenbo-Ok,I was thinking about that ,I'm going to redo the textures except the last one.Simmo-I was just playing around with the texture,It was supposed to be somekind of leaking rust effect but it sholdnt be there so its been fixed already.Thanks for critiques ! :)
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New texture its a wall panel.I hope it looks closer to deus ex style.Texture is 512*2 and C&C are welcome.hghgh.png
  • -Joe-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In Deus Ex : HR , the environment looks pretty sterile and squeaky clean. In the image you just posted the textures looks kind of cloudy and dirty,removing all that and adding a bit of "glossiness" to it will make it more deus ex-ish.

Again,just my 2 cents :)
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are right I just noticed that their textures are clean and that they get most of the look from normal and spec maps.So this is going to be easy job to fix.Tomorrow I will do level blockout and try to get something decent to show.Hopefully Joes critique will get me on right track.