Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Panzer III

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Croftyness polycounter lvl 11
Here's a low poly I'm working on. Not great but hey its my first ever model. What you think? (Sorry didn't have time for renders :S)
Tank2-1.jpgTank.jpgTank4.jpgXoliul.jpg

Replies

• joshA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that looks nice i think you may need to add some mad or dirt on the texture looks to clean
  • Croftyness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Croftyness polycounter lvl 11
    Diffuse
    TexturemapComplete.jpg
    Spec
    SpecularComplete-1.jpg
    Norm
    NormalmapComplete.jpg
    Presntation:
    FinalBeauty.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Try and push the specular more :) Good work so far!
  • Gibbage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is no way that should be 26K tri's. Did you model each tank tread? Take a look at World of Tanks, its free. What they do for tread is have a renderable spline with 4 sides, and really wide with a repeating tank tread texture on it. That will save you a lot of polygons! Use those extra polygons to add surface detail, like the cable modeled and not just normal mapped.

One other area is the texture. Needs more veriety. Again, look at World of Tanks as a great example. There texture files are stored as a DDS, and Photoshop can open them with the Nvidia plugin. That should give you a good lead.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    Gibbage wrote: »
    There is no way that should be 26K tri's. Did you model each tank tread? Take a look at World of Tanks, its free. What they do for tread is have a renderable spline with 4 sides, and really wide with a repeating tank tread texture on it. That will save you a lot of polygons! Use those extra polygons to add surface detail, like the cable modeled and not just normal mapped.

One other area is the texture. Needs more veriety. Again, look at World of Tanks as a great example. There texture files are stored as a DDS, and Photoshop can open them with the Nvidia plugin. That should give you a good lead.

I agree with pretty much everything here. You also have to consider animating those tracks, an oscillating texture is way way easier.

Have a look into camouflage patterns,a lot of WW2 tanks had some pretty awesome camo, a quick google brings up some pretty interesting examples:

pzIII_07.jpg
    pzIII_09.jpg
    pzIII_08.jpg
    pzIII_05.jpg