Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Drone - unwrapping

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
LSheridan polycounter lvl 6
Really just need some advice. Its been awhile since I've unwrapped any kind of object. This little guy is going to be used as a mob in a game. Have a couple of questions if anyone could help me out.
Untitled.jpg
Should I be mirroring the model/UVs rather than texturing both sides?
What is the most efficient way to unwrap something like this knowing there will be many of these guys on screen at once?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• LuCh!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    just a small enemy? i would say mirror it all, nobody is gonna notice,
    and I like to use RoadKill for unwrapping more organic things
  • TehSplatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
    if theres going to be a shitload of them and you dont care about them having A-symetrical textures then yea i would just delete 1 side and unwrap then wield the model back together but if there coming close to the screen then you can unwrap the rest of it like suggested above and then unwrap the face as a whole so you can get an A-symetrical texture for atleast the face then again im not exactley a UV expert haha
  • LSheridan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I'll give it a go ahead then.

Also having a duplicating special problem where I try to duplicate -1 on the x axis to mirror, which works fine - but the object comes out slightly rotated. I tried centering the pivot point, but no luck. Any ideas?
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What i do is unwrap the entire object just because its easy to work out, then delete half the object and mirror it... Then rescale the new UVs. Which is good texel use, and if you want some assymetrical textures i just use a seperate Uv set, similar to a splat map on a ground or wall
  • ClamJam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flipped shells can have normal map problems i believe.
    look out for that.
  • LSheridan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input guys. Did an unwrap on one half, but I'm not sure if this is efficient or even a decent way to go about it. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

drone_unwrap.jpg