Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Tyrannosaurus

Hey, like a few others who posted here I am looking for some feedback on my tyrannosaurus assignment. I decided to go for a "real" feel to the t-rex with a lot of the my references for the muscles and skin coming from the discovery channels documentary.

This is my first real creature pipeline, only previous thing i have put in to UDK before this was a human mesh.

Base mesh
The base mesh was 4,072 tris without eyes.
basefinished.jpg

zBrush sculpt
The base mesh was taken into zBrush, after building up layers it ended on 7 sub divides, with the last just really for scales.
YlfTM.jpg
5YBSO.jpg

In the UDK engine
The poly paint from zBrush was edited in Photoshop to take out some of the black from the cavity map. UDK seems to have lighten the texture a lot, i might go back and darken this abit.

In UDK's foliage:
XMQfc.jpg

The static mesh browser:
GNbbs.jpg

In a standard UDK light map:
CzexU.jpg

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, things i have considered were dialing the specular map up a bit to give the skin more of a lizard feel to it. There are some seem issues on the leg and neck also, these are caused by the normal map and i am unsure how to fix them (i have tried normal maps from znormal, zBrush and 3dsmax. All have the same seem issues).

Also sorry for the lack of sculpt shots, i'm currently having some ram issues and will try to get them posted on here when i can.

Replies

• Webbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More sculpt shots, as you cans see it's not as good as the other one i posted. this is the projected version that has UV's. I wasn't able to project all 7 sub divides as my computer couldn't handle it :<

This is what i use to gain the normal and diffuse maps (eyes were done on a different sub tool):

dinothird.jpg
    dinoside.jpg
    dinofront.jpg
    dinoback.jpg
    dinolegs.jpg
    dinohead.jpg

Here is the rig for UDK and a video of the animation:

dinorig.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ__t2kh9f8&quot;]UDK T-Rex Animations - YouTube[/ame]
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    your rex is feeling a bit boxy for lack of a better word. It lacks muscle definition that you would expect because you are going for a realistic rex.

He looks very static and cumbersome (feet to big for example) and resembles a toy more then a living animal. I would love to do a paint over but I am a bit busy atm. Maybe someone else on this forum could help you with that.

I'l leave you with an image I found that shows a good interpretation of the t-rex muscle structure
    muscleguide.jpg
  • StuButler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StuButler polycounter lvl 9
    Your dinosaur is walking on its tip toes at the moment, you might want to have a look at the Hubgroup's lift parameters inside CATmotion and offset it downwards so the dinosaur is walking on its whole foot, also play with the curvature of the lift to get a better sense of weight and avoid the floating walk feeling...
  • Webbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for taking the time to reply!

For the anatomy, looking at it now i can see i need to do a lot more to it. The top of the quads are extremely block like. I did try to take care with the muscles during the base mesh, but ended up not defining them enough during the sculpt. I'm also no longer a fan of the original pose i chose for the T-Rex, as its very unnatural.

The animation is a bit of an issues, i don't have SP1 or 2 installed for 3dSmax 2012 (they contain a lot of CAT updates), as when i try it causes the rig to be destroyed. Any one know a way of installing them without losing the rig? it will i just have to re do it?

Thanks for the feedback