Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cave Beasty

jbrophy
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
jbrophy polycounter lvl 17
Pretty generic so far. Just working on this here and there in the morning to warm up. Get your crit on.

JesseBrophy_Concept_06L.jpg

Replies

• fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    so far so good!
    Just the chest muscle looks wierd with the corner on it. Also the blend between chest and deltoids doesn´t look right.
    I would suggest fix the muscles and add the details as some kind of superficial detail.
    ;)
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    " Just working on this here and there in the morning to warm up"

Have you been working on this a lot? It might be better to warm up with 1hr speed sculpts instead, rather than fixing up the same thing over and over, especially if it's just for warm up :P

As for critique, I really like the design. Not a fan of the lower jaw though. It seems too chunky and out of place. It might just be that it doesn't have as much detail as other parts, so it sticks out like a sore thumb.

The stance is pretty plain. Add some more curve to the back maybe. Right now, it's hard to tell if it's meant to stand straight or hunch over in a creepy way.

I agree with Fabio about the blend between chest and deltoids. Fix that up!

I like what you've done with the bottom of the rib cage. It's something I'd really like to see more defined because right now it looks kind of lumpy, like he's melting.

Overall I'd say continue putting more work into this. I think it would look great as a full body sculpt and beauty render.

EDIT: one of my classmates pointed out the ribs did seem a bit odd, and I agree. Right now you have a dip under the ribcage, but I think you could keep that same dip shape, but have muscle connecting over it so it feels a bit more attached. This is more of a personal preference I suppose, but it would look better in my opinion (:

paintover.png
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Smoothing out that rib cage would also help with the normal bake.
  • jbrophy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a little more on this. Spent way too much time messing with a lightcap I liked for Zbrush. Since I consider this just a concept sculpt still I will probably retopo when I go to a final one. I only have 30 minutes or so to work on this due to other duties right now.

fabio - agreed. Edited it some.

Selaznog - No not a lot. A couple mornings here and there before work. Not much time yet. I agree on the lower jaw. I will rework it some. I had some more design to it but I think it smoothed out during a dynamesh with blur on. I like the overlapping rib area, though I agree not very realistic. I will define it more with some form to make it look more intentional than lazy

Thanks for the input and taking the time. I will reference this more as I continue.

JesseBrophy_Concept_08L.jpg
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Looking really great, big fan of the chest design!
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow that thing is intense!! i love the hands, i love the face (bat like) and i absolutely love the back design. not a huge fan of the little kink in the ribcage, but wow, incredible piece !!!! excited to see the final version... the bones strutting out of the body reminds me a bit of HR gigers work on aliens, very similar
  • timspanjer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking awesome! I love all the detail in the torso and hands. Maybe adding that type of definition in the face and the ears would help a little. Check on these crazy ears...
    smiling-bat-head.jpg
  • jbrophy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all. That Bat image is awesome. This is in the concept stage so I don't know how detailed I go just yet but great recommendation. The face had more detail but slowly melted away with dynamesh. I am sure user error. I did some more edits and added on some legs, which I like. Now the arms look too human I think. I also think the hips need a lot more form to them. Thinner, maybe bonier.

JesseBrophy_Concept_09L.jpg
  • Redfender
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think part of the weirdness with the hips is coming from the lack of medius muscle. id say the quads are lacking form from the front, like i dont see a sartorius. id check some reference for those. the random boniness like in the deltoid area and medius area seem like they would really inhibit function. id back up a little and nail the big forms a little more.