Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stegosaurus with walk animation

Hey everyone,

This is a university project that I need to get feedback on topology, animations, etc.

Here are some screens:

stego1.jpg

stego2.jpg

stego3.jpg

stego4.jpg

stego5.jpg

sstegoarmour.jpg

stego.jpg

wireframevw.png

wireframe2.png

Here is the link to the animation:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhR_Hvxttxg"]Stegosaurus idle walk animations - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    Good start on the dino there!

I think you've got a disconnect between the dino itself and the spikes on the tail and the fins on his back. They don't look like they're protruding from him so much as they're just tacked on. I'd support them with geometry and texture. I'd also cut down a lot on the edge wear out on the metal.

Horns protruding from shoulder joints feel silly for me too, but that's a personal preference that can be freely and readily ignored.

And the eye needs eyelids, or some sort of socket (google lizard eye).

As for the animation, it's a good start but he doesn't look very heavy. Some secondary movement on the fins could be cool and some follow through on his weight when he lands the steps.
  • SuperSoupy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperSoupy polycounter lvl 5
    Hi,

I really like your model :-). If you're willing though I can give you some feedback on the animation....

The side-to side motion on the hips and tail is nice, but there's two major changes need to make your work stand out more:

1) The legs.

Currently they move in parallels (e.g. As the back leg moves, so does the front leg on the other side).
    The walk of a creature of this build should be similar to that of, say, an elephant or rhino. When they walk, both legs on the same side move (e.g. as the back leg moves, so does the front leg on the SAME side). Look up reference to see what I mean, but once you have the legs moving this way, try offsetting the keys to make the front leg move slightly AFTER the back leg. This will prevent any 'twinning' and making your anim look stiff.
    The result will be a more realistic proportion of weight as the creature walks, and it will give that nice side-to-side motion you have some weight too.

2) Up and down movement in the hips and shoulders.

Currently you already have this in the head which is good, but you need to show this up and down motion (with subtlety) in hips and shoulders too. As the legs cross over, raise the appropriate hips or shoulders slightly. Again, like before this will give your dinosaur more weight to his walk.

You've got a decent foundation laid on your walk already. You have the movement. Now it's time to build on that, and make him animate! All the best!