Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] roboy.me

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
roboy polycounter lvl 11
Hi PC peeps!

Been a long time (around 2 years) user but hardly posted anything at all... it's hard to get involved when there's so much talent around, it's intimidating :poly124:

I'm currently looking for my first time art job and have been updating my portfolio.

If you guys and girls could crit the content of portfolio that would be sweet!

http://roboy.me/

Cheers!

Replies

• Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Hi there,

Personally I'd ditch the thumbnails in favour of a long line of large images. Imagine the people looking at your portfolio after having looked at a hundred before it. They just want to see the work quickly as possible and nothing says quick like a single page where you just scroll down.

As for the content, I'd say the main letdown is the lighting in all your work. It's so dull and grey. You want to grab the viewers attention with vivid colours.

Where's your CV? That should be on there for easy viewing as well. Also make sure to put a link to your website on every picture. They usually save pictures for the future and forget where they got them.
  • roboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roboy polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the crits dude!

Unfortunately I'm using carbonmade so I can't list all the images in one page - I was thinking of making my own website soon so I have more creative input on how everything looks

As for the lighting, I agree my lighting isn't that great... I mostly just use a directional light in UDK and hope for the best - probably not the best way to show case my work, I may look into some tutorials and find a good lighting setup :)

I also tried to make the foliage environment not so grey and dull - does it look any better now?

I usually don't like having my CV shown in a public place but I'll digest it slightly and add it in the "About" page!

Also I added my website to every image (a pretty tedious task! :poly124:)
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roboy, for future reference create a "template" in Photoshop with your contact info at the bottom of the page. Like what I do is have the document size be 1280 x 760 or so. The extra heights gives some pixel room so I can add my name, email, web address, etc. Also it allows me to keep the actual portfolio image at 1280 x 726. Then when you take portfolio screenshots just pop the image inside the template, and save for web.

Makes updating your site easier. Plus you can just keep reusing the template. Just save it as its own .psd.
  • TehSplatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
    Do what samcole says lol the layout of the portfolio is fine personally i like carbon made haha its so easy and simple and you can catagorize certain projects. as for the content, i think the roof top is nice but could use alot more detail in the texture GRIMEEEEEEE. and the tree and grass environment doesnt really make much sense. theres kind of just trees and grass every where. i like the skateboard alot though haha