Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sky Hub

DirtyMrDucky
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
DirtyMrDucky polycounter lvl 12
I guess I'll be posting this earlier than I intended. It's not much at the moment, but this has been bugging the heck out of me. I saw a couple threads regarding dark seems with lightmass and the whole rotating UVs so they're facing the same direction avoiding the specular problem. Can someone tell me what is going on here? All my pieces seem to have the same lighting on them and as you can see on the top, have some sort of dark to light gradient. Any advice is appreciated, shoot, if you have anything to say regarding the look of the walkway itself, I'd love hearing it.

lighting_woes.jpg
lighting_woes_uvs.jpg

P.S.: I was wondering if UDK had the ability to group static meshes (similar to maya) so they all share the same pivot and scaling direction. I read on the epic forums about prefab doing something close (at least I understood it that way) but UDK crashes when I attempted it.

Replies

• mutatedjellyfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mutatedjellyfish polycounter lvl 10
    Looks like a normal smoothing problem. Check your smooth groups or your normal angles to make sure edges are hard where they need to be (the edges that border other modules) and soft where you want them to be. What it's doing is trying to "wrap" that light around some normals you have marked as smooth and that's the best it can do since there isn't any geometry between the two sides of the object.

I believe this is the case, anyway. Others can feel free to correct me.
  • DirtyMrDucky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks jellyfish, but I went ahead and reimported the static mesh with the normals set to face and rebaked my normalmap using the new mesh. I'm still getting the gradient on the top and repeating lightmaps on the front.
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    Your normal map might have it's green channel flipped the wrong way, either on export or when importing to UDK(on import make sure the 'flip normal map green channel' is unchecked).

When you render that green is set to down or Y-.

...or as jellyfish said, your smoothing groups are still wrong.
  • DirtyMrDucky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeaaa, im a goober. i didnt have obey hard edges turned on for the actor x plugin. . .=p. its fixed now thanks to you both!