Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Velociraptor NPC UDK - Feedback Required

Hi

I am studying Computer Games Design at university and for one of my modules I have created a NPC velociraptor.

Part of the module requires me to get some feedback. Therefore I would be grateful if anyone could take the time to take a look at my udk files and give me some feedback. Any sort of feedback would be appreciated i.e in terms of the animations, the model, textures, or anything else.

Name of character - Velociraptor

Compatibility - UDK-2011-08

Description - A NPC velociraptor that chases the player around the level including an idle animation and a walking animation.

Screenshot:

screenshot3xg.jpg

Link to UDK files:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21629966/Velociraptor_NPC_rar

Thanks

screenshot3xg.jpg

Replies

• Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    Could you post more angles, wireframe and textures? You could also link videos of your animations.
  • dugmorew89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beauty:

screenshot5qh.jpg

screenshot6ad.jpg
    Wireframe:

screenshot7jv.jpg

screenshot8en.jpg

screenshot5qh.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Your wire-frame is very nice (maybe someone with a background in character art can elaborate better), but your texture appears to lose definition in the centre of the model.

The nose and tail seem to have some good detail, but it seems to get blurry on the main part of the body. I'm not sure whether this is a Normal or Diffuse map issue though.

What textures are you using on the fella? As you could probably get some more information in with a tiling normal/diffuse as a detail map.

I hope that helps :)
  • Tidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should work the anatomy more. The fingers of the raptor were bony. The shoulders and the body, thinnier; try to scale it in that axis. The lower jaw should be thicker in its base, and the neck should be inverted V shaped, like the rex.

A lot of muscle and bone definition is missing. Right now it only has scales. The wireframe looks nearly perfect tho.
  • dugmorew89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. It's greatly appreciated. and I will take it all on board.

It has a diffuse, normal and specular map applied to it.

If anyone has the chance to take a look at the UDK files that would also be very useful to me.

Many thanks.
  • Hellmouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellmouth polycounter lvl 11
    You should reference featherless birds for the anatomy, quite frankly, because "raptors" have much more in common with birds than they do with the likes of T-Rex. Notably, the arms and hands. The arms are in general are shorter, and the "hands" have the palms facing towards each other, as opposed to backwards. And, as they've been mentioned before, the shoulders start much lower on the chest than you have them right now. The legs also might benefit from being more graceful.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Didn't 'they' (scientist people) find that Velociraptors actually had feathers? :P
  • TehSplatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
    There's a painting some one did of raptors with feathers and its really cool but can some one please tell me why theres dinosaurs in udk every where lol