Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

-Sidewalk prop(s)/-WİP

igi
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
igi polycounter lvl 12
Hello,I made this and would really like to get some crits.
-İ firstly sculpted a clean mesh and then damaged it.There's hi-poly sculpt for both clean and damaged versions.
-Normal detail of crackles are photosourced.İ find sculpting realistic crackles really really hard,and then decided to add details only by textures.
İ want to know is it passable?İf not,then which part of it bugging you?
sidewall_prj_final.jpg
sidewall_prj_flats.jpg
İ want to vertex paint the clean mesh with damaged one and İ want to paint damage directly in vertex painting.İ'm gonna try that,must be fun.

Replies

• Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It bugs me that the only damage area is in one block. You wouldnt be able to use it as modular very well because that one damage block will stick out.

I would have weathering and damage around the top part of the curb, and have it subtle.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Looks pretty good. Pretty much what Darkleopard said.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    you should make a clean and a damaged version of the texture, and use vertex paint tp paint in damage and varration, in udk.
  • Neuropozyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good but like what the others said dont have in all in one place spread it out more
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Another option, especially if it isn't in UDk, make a decal plane. UDk can project decals, so make a decal material therefore. But a decal would be more ideal in the long run - keeps things as separates so more combinations.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    I had some problems about installing UDK.So I had to find some another way to 'variate' things.I seperated every concrete blocks and re-arranged them.It works out well, thought.Also added some grass around the crackles.Still need some luminosity variety but no udk shader work right now :(
    sidewall_prj_grss1.jpg
    So,What do you say? :)
  • modern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    modern polycounter lvl 17
    If you were one of our artists I would be asking you to show me your reference. Your pavement looks like a generic idea of what a pavenemt looks like. We value observed detail eg. the kurb should have an apropriate shape, and the arrangement of flagstones and the material they are made of would be required, even if it is styalised.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    @modern
    This is a killer critique.I was modeled this off the top of my head.Really I didn't observe any reference or real-life study on it.And realized this is what I need in that case.I'm gonna ditch the current one and start a new one from scratch.
    Some inappropriate features on my model:
    -It's nearly impossible to create corner pieces since there's 2 curb and 3 flagstones.So they don't match each other when curved.
    -Missing concrete fillet in the gaps.
    -Edge damage are very random and sculpted without any reference,lacks structure.
    -Low poly model is utterly uniform.Need some crevices around the damaged curbs.
    -Need more curb variation.Most of real sidewalks consist of curbs with different lengths.

Also I have another idea.I'll make a modular clean/damaged curbs pack to combine with many different pavements.There might be 3 different pavement styles.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    You need some intermediate damage.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    New sidewalk prop is work-in-progress,İ promise.Btw İ made this.Can İ has some SCİ-Fİ??
    scifi_wip_1.jpg
    Crits would be nice :)
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the top 1/3 because its interesting, but it really needs more 'stuff' to make it look less boring.

What is the purpose of the corridor? Try to add some more indicators of what/where it is. Its a good start, but it doesn't seem to have a purpose to me.

I would also think about the funtion of the hallway. Is there any piping/cables behind some of the plates on the walls? If so make little indents (hinges etc) that show that plates can be opened to access stuff behind them

G0od start :)