Home General Discussion

Unity Something! May 2012 Challenge

Hi I', just launching a monthly Unity game deveopment challenge on the unity forum overe here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/133987-Unity-Something!-May-2012

This months theme: Arabian Horse.

IT's a two week game 'Slow' Jam Challenge.

Week One Create: assets, models, prototypes, storyline, sound fx, music, backdrops, artwork.

Best assets are judges in categories.

Week Two Build: Team together and build a game

Best games are judged on.

Currently no prizes but if you know a potential sponsor please drop me a line.

Replies

• Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    Awww hell yeah I'm in.

But what does the difference in the weeks mean? Does everyone just pile all the assets up at the end of week one into a community lot and everyone starts fresh making a game in week 2?
  • Arowx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent!

The idea is that everyone has different skill sets, if you turned up at a game jam you might say I'm a 3D modeller/animator, does any team need my skills. Then one or more teams would recruit you to help them out.

So the concept is for people to come up with designs, art, models, ect that fit the theme and put them out for the community to judge.

This lets people show off and gets the ball rolling, the next stage is to build a game. So already people know each others skill sets and level of work and they can band together and help each other out making games with Unity.

That's the theory, it will be interesting to see what happens in practice!

I'm thinking of it as a Slow (more relaxed) Jam, more time to create stuff and get things together but not too much for things to lose focus.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Such an awesome concept! Is it going on every month ?
  • Arowx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it would be great if I could run it every month, just think of the games and teams it could help create.