Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Characters - working on new stuff to fill my portfolio

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
Hi everyone,
after a streak of contract work I have now a little spare time on my hands, so I figured I should fill my portfolio with some new stuff. And since all of my recent work is under NDA, I decided to start some personal project.

Searching for inspiration I´ve bumped into some neat Fable 3 character concepts. These two I´d like to make in 3d and fully textured put in my portfolio in the upcoming weeks:
fable3concepts.jpg
I´ve only put the characters from two huge pictures on one sheet - I can´t take credit for the concepts. I also kept the signature of the original author. Let me know if anyone of you felt that there´s anything wrong with the editing and I´ll put the picture away.

Here´s some progress on the male character:
f3m_progress01-01.jpg
Still very WIP, lots of work ahead of me (detailing the fur, shoes, belt, etc.).

Texturing-wise I´ll be aiming for a little stylized characters. I´d like to achieve that color-full palette of the original concepts.

I have also basemeshes ready for the female, but haven´t started sculpting yet. Will post progress when there´s more work in it.

Feel free to leave comments.

Replies

• PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Looking nice so far! I think the tricep could use some more bulk, especially in proportion to the forearm. Also his thumb is looking a bit stubby and small (length), although its difficult to work out with the fur covering his hands.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the comment. It was quite early stage and many things were just placeholders. I made more proper hands for him, although it´s still not finalized yet. Here´s the new progress and more angles:
    f3m_progress02-01.jpg
    f3m_progress02-02.jpg

There´s only a few areas (especially flesh) I need to finalize before I can move on lowpoly + bakes, but in this hot weather it´s so friggin hard to stay focused on personal art...
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really cool designs man! nice work on the male so far! if i had to crit something at this stage id say the fur on the shoulders, while it looks good it seems to be much curlier than the concept, as if it were wool instead of something similar to bear pelt. Keep up the good work man!

-woog
  • Hofsta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That fur looks really cool and stylized. Whats your process for that?