Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

FYP - Pirate Ship

Hi Guys

Im currently working on my Final Year Project for Uni and chose to create an environment based off the concept art by Miguel Lleras:

ZcC7h.jpg

Unfortunately due to poor time management on my part i had to cut down a lot of the environment to make sure it was completed on time, so unfortunately i was only able to produce the pirate ship centre piece and even that wasn't of good enough quality as i had hoped for. Any critiques and suggestions are more than welcome as it would help me improve the piece before the deadline.

n3c5Q.jpg

ZkpEG.jpg

fkHfI.jpg
c3Oqb.jpg

Replies

• Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The blockout looks nice, but i think your textures need some work.

It looks like youve found a mossy texture and slapped it onto the sides of the boat, but it doesnt look like wood is underneath it. I would suggest layering the textures like the materials would be layered in real life. Make a clean boat, with all the nice wood. then dirty it up, overlay some moss etc. I think you'll find you will get a much better result that was. You're doing exactly what i used to do. Trying to get all the detail in, and accidently putting so much in that it just looks messy. Start some a simple base and work your way up.

Also posting your texture maps will help :) Use lots of refs also

Hope this helps.
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 12
    I personally would tone down the green on the ship.
  • TheGoozah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool concept! Atm textures really bother me. There is some stretching, they are also very blurry in some parts, to much grunge/dirt. And I'm not sure but maybe one of the causes is your UV layout. Can you post it please?
    Also some parts of your mesh is not 100% accurate, and even strange at some points. For example, the very thick ledge in the rear is strange.
    I should consider adjusting your mesh, use alot of reference!! Both for modeling and texturing. This is a very cool concept to make. I hope you will enjoy the process!
  • pr0sorrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @darkleopard Thanks for the speedy feedback. I completely agree with you and the textures, i've been really unhappy with how they look, but been so busy with my dissertation that i haven't had much time to improve them.

@Bonkahe Thanks for the speedy feedback. It does seem quite green in places so i shall fix it asap.

@TheGoozah Thanks for the speedy feedback. As soon as i saw the concept i just wanted to create it, really disappointed that i havent completed the whole scene but only got my self to blame. The stretching is likely down to my shoddy texture work and how i tried to do it and i agree with the back end of the ship, i think it does look odd, i need to redo the back end of the ship completely i think as it just doesnt seem to look right.

Even after my hand in, im probably gonna try and continue working on this piece and try and get the whole thing to a higher standard.
  • a-k-m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a-k-m polycounter lvl 5
    Edit: nevermind, already said
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will be awesome to see you improve this. i look forward to it!

Remember to post texture sheets to help others give you feedback :)
  • Schrodinger's Backface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Schrodinger's Backface polycounter lvl 6
    The wood is a big deal. What you need to ensure is that your wood grain is consistent throughout. Also, it is much, much too noisy at the moment and too varied. Run it through a high-pass filter on photoshop maybe to ease it up. Decide on a hue/satuation/value as your wood base. It's best to go less saturated and lighter. The only wood base that would be significantly different than the rest would be refined wood (say if you had sanded, stained, well-groomed furniture).

Once you have the wood base finished and consistent throughout the entire ship you can start adding variations (like the green build-up on the outside for example). Other subtle variations can be done in normals or spec.

Here are two examples of very stylistically different pirate scenes that were pretty successful. I realize they are both indoors but they can serve as inspiration!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhuWD9l_o3A"]Pirate Ship - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ffZH9v2EHU"]Phantom Sails: 2012 Seneca Gaming Art Mod (HD) - YouTube[/ame]

Good luck!
  • pr0sorrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Schrodinger's Backface: Thanks a lot for the feedback, from the feedback ive gotten so far im probably gonna have to just start from scratch and redo most of the textures, just hope i can manage to finish it in time for my hand in, but hopefully with your guidance i can do it.